Finally, after 9 years, Tial has redone their BOV...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Q.jpg

Tial Website said:
New for 2008 is the first revision of the nine year old original TiAL BOV. The Q bolts right up to any standard TiAL flange so you can upgrade without having to re-weld. Through countless hours of R&D we were able to make the same size valve flow a staggering 60% more than the original design - that means 60% more air is blown off per cycle! This is the highest flowing BOV on the market. The Q will be offered in all of the current colors.

New Spring Pressures for the Q:

6psi = vac between 8 and 11

8psi = vac between 12 and 15

10psi = vac between 16 and 19

11psi = vac between 20 and 21

12psi = vac between 22 and 23

Thoughts? Reactions? I don't think they are out yet, but not sure. Here's a link to the videos of them

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I watched the video and to my untrained ear they sounded the same. They may work better though. I love the one I have now.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Yeah, I couldn't tell a difference either, but what really got my attention were the videos of what a tial looks like when venting on a properly setup car/combo. It's actually very fast to vent for the size of the piston in the video, but at what cost? I bet that suby owner is using a light spring to make that happen, ultimately limiting the amount of boost he can run until the pressurized intake starts to push the piston on the BOV open due to the light spring.

If that's the case, I guess the best thing to do if you were wanting to run massive boost and not want compressor surge, would be to get one of the new tials, since they flow a lot more air than the last generation, with a heavy spring on it to handle high boost pressures, coupled with a second BOV, either an HKS SSQV or a synapse synchronic BOV for the lower boost levels when you need them to open fast to kill off compressor surge before the bigger Tial finally decides to open up to let of the majority of the compressed air.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
The new design doesn't phase me. *shrug*

The thing that REALLY interests me is the different spring ratings. I run a 9 right now, and its a little too weak, it'll stay open a hair to much. I tried the 11 and it wouldn't open even under full boost.

I wonder if the springs are interchangeable.

my engine pulls about 21/22 on my gauge though...

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
I dont think i run enough boost to get that thing to open with the 11pound spring our cars need. 14psi on a 57 trim is barely enough. I want to know the benefits of it flowing 60% more air? Would we even notice a difference? maybe if we're running close to 30+ psi on it.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The difference would only be noticed if you had two exactly same motors/setup/driver characteristics.

One BOV on one car, one on the other.

The difference would be noticed by how long it takes one turbo to die due to compressor surge at high Psi levels versus the other running the same setup.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
starscream5000;972417 said:
The difference would only be noticed if you had two exactly same motors/setup/driver characteristics.

One BOV on one car, one on the other.

The difference would be noticed by how long it takes one turbo to die due to compressor surge at high Psi levels versus the other running the same setup.

werd^

im running the new style SSQV at the momnet and looking to add the old style Tial BOV. one for low pressure and the other for high.

ed.d.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
starscream5000;972074 said:
Yeah, I couldn't tell a difference either, but what really got my attention were the videos of what a tial looks like when venting on a properly setup car/combo. It's actually very fast to vent for the size of the piston in the video, but at what cost? I bet that suby owner is using a light spring to make that happen, ultimately limiting the amount of boost he can run until the pressurized intake starts to push the piston on the BOV open due to the light spring.

If that's the case, I guess the best thing to do if you were wanting to run massive boost and not want compressor surge, would be to get one of the new tials, since they flow a lot more air than the last generation, with a heavy spring on it to handle high boost pressures, coupled with a second BOV, either an HKS SSQV or a synapse synchronic BOV for the lower boost levels when you need them to open fast to kill off compressor surge before the bigger Tial finally decides to open up to let of the majority of the compressed air.

The spring wont effect the bov from opening under a wot high boost situation, the spring just biases the piston.

If your running 30psi of boost, that 30 psi is applied to both sides of the piston, one side from the intercooler pipe and the other side from the reference vac line coming from the intake manifold. The pressure of the spring is applied to the side keeping it closed.

If the spring applies 6 psi of pressure there would be 36 psi on one side and 30 on the other during a 30psi WOT situation. If you were running 50 psi there would be 50 on one and 56 on the other during a WOT situation.

The 6 psi bias would always hold the valve closed at WOT operation. Untill the throttle plate closes in turn lowering the intake manifold pressure witch lowers the reference pressure on one side of the valve there would always be 6 more psi holding the valve closed.

So as soon as the intake manifold pressure drops enough to lower the reference pressure below boost pressure inside the intercooler piping plus spring tension the valve begins to open. For instance if pressure in the IC pipes was 30 psi the intake manifold pressure would need to be 24psi or lower for the valve to open. A 10psi spring would require an intake manifold pressure of 20 psi or lower for it to open.

The spring only changes the required differential of pressure between intercooler piping and intake manifold for the valve to open. A harder spring would require a larger differential in pressure to initiate the opening of the valve. A harder spring will retain more boost in between shifts at the expense of "cool sound" and a lighter spring will allow quicker reaction and more vent/"cool noise" at the expense of more lost boost between shifts.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
So, what makes a pull type BOV, such as the Tial, leak under high boost situations, versus a push type vavle, like the HKS SSQV or Synapse Synchronic not leaking at all due to the boost pressure pushing the valve closed under boost??

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
well im unsure about the new tial but the old one was opened by a combination of intake vacuum and boost pressure working together to open the valve.

The only reason i can see it leaking is bad seals. Other then that it shouldn't be able to be forced open by boost pressure because the same pressure plus spring tension is holding it closed.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I never ran with a pull type BOV before, so I'm unsure as to how they work, but I've always read around that they tend to leak boost at higher pressure, I'm assuming from the intake charge forcing the piston up. This may not be an issue with the tial for the very same reasons you have posted above a few posts, but it could be the cause for other types of BOV's that are pull types because no all of them are setup like a Tial IIRC...