FFIM PCV question

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys! I recently purchased a RR long runner FFIM.....So my question is what do i do about the PCV system? I will be using the Q45 TB. I am currently running the stock set up with the TB vacuum port running to the two valve covers which runs to the Intake. I was looking at Duane's setup and it hardly look slike a 7M with all that bling and shine...:biglaugh: so I could not really follow..... Any links, advice, pics, instructions would be very helpful! Thanks guys,
-val

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You will need a port aft of the FFIM flange for Q45. The routing for the PCV will be identical to stock, except you will need a check valve in the line to the cam covers that will close off the port under boost. It looks like one of the Ford (steel) PCV valves will do the trick (sorry, no part #).

If you plan to use a catch can, the line from the FFIM and intake tube need to attach to a T and route to one side of the can...you still need the above check valve on the FFIM line. The other side of the can should route to both cam cover nipples. You want to keep this a closed system...no filters open to atmosphere.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Sorry for bringing the thread back from the dead but I'm having pretty much the same problem now!

(If running standalone based on MAP and ) running a catch can wouldn't that cause pretty much a vacuum leak as the manifold port with a PCV valve inline would suck air out from the intake tube (Easiest route) and not much if any vacuum would go to the cam covers?

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
If you want to maximize the amount of vacuum pulled from the valve covers at idle, then you should also run a one way check valve going to the intake pipe.

Last edited:

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
So, did the new hose with vacuum from the manifold. Check valves on both sides. Idle rose about 300rpm, idle AFR's of course to 12.5-13. Then I noticed that the stock system had a couple mm wide bottleneck in the throttle body! Though the pipes coming in and out for the pcv are pretty large when you look at the TB.

My system was made with 8mm hose and ends.
Should I not worry and just retune my idle or should I also make manifold side hose end smaller - "add a bottleneck" and then retune my idle a little bit?
Didn't see much of a difference for the vacuum on the boost gauge, maybe about 0.02 bar ?

What you think?
p1951224_1.jpg

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
The stock TB has that small orifice because it doesn't have a check valve. The movement of air over the valve cover fittings is what draws out the vapors in the stock system.
With your system you should only have a check valve on the TB side. The intake side before the turbo won't see boost so you don't need a check valve there.
Make sure the catch can is baffled too, without baffling the oil vapors won't settle in the can and could get sucked into the turbo/ic pipes/ffim etc.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
My thoughts were if I don't have a valve on the intake side the vacuum from the manifold will probably go the easier way - rather suck air from the intake than the valve covers which is harder. But anyways I have it now.
What interests me is - did I do too large of a hose to draw the vacuum from or am I good to go? Not a large "vacuum leak"?

It sure is baffled with some supermarket steel wool :D