Fender Rolling Questions

JimboScum

Jul 24, 2011
BC, Canada
So I'm finally getting my 87 Turbo into the body shop to fix some body damage (car got stolen and was recovered in a ditch) and figured since insurance is paying for half the car to get painted, I may as well spend a little extra to get the whole car repainted.

Just ordered some wheels to go with the new paint job:
TSW Nurburgring
18x8.5 +20 and 18x10.5 +27. [emoji48]

I definitely want to roll the fenders while the body work is getting done so it comes out perfect.

I really want to keep the wheel well liners intact. What do you guys do? Do you run without the liners or is there a trick way to roll them while keeping the liners in?

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Rolling the fenders just implies rolling the inside lips upwards so they provide more room for the tires and should be able to retain the liners with minimal effort.

Pulling the fenders would actually be stretching them slightly wider and could be difficult.

I have mine rolled and didin't have too much trouble with the liners.

JimboScum

Jul 24, 2011
BC, Canada
I'm mainly worried about the top bolt mounting area at 12-1 o clock. Rolling the fender would eliminate or move that mounting spot upwards. Did you just roll it and not bolt the liner in that spot?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^yep, also (personally) I usually don't close the rolled lip, I leave probably twice as much space as the plastic liner requires. Make sure it's sealed with paint.

JimboScum

Jul 24, 2011
BC, Canada
My body guy is going to do it all. On the rear his plan is to cut the lip off then weld a bead across the inside so then it has virtually no lip. He was mentioning doing that to the front and that's when this whole liner ordeal came up because all the mounting tabs on the lip of the fender would be cut off.

I think I'll get him to cut the lip except for the mounting tabs and get him to roll the tabs upwards but not flush so I can zap strap them like you guys suggested.

Knew you guys would give me a quick answer! Thank you

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
A proper roll wouldn't need to have the rears cut. Mine are as flat as they can get. I don't run fender liners because my car is pretty low. If you're not going that low, you can get away with keeping the liners. You'll just need to cut about half an inch from where they bolt onto the actual fender, prior to rolling.

If you do decide to go low, remove the liners and bang up the tab where the wiring harness goes. I'd also use zip ties with push pins to tuck the harness as high as possible...

60ca1b19d7b80027de6b2dcf7968872c.jpg

That's what gets hammered up, or it will cut the tire when you bottom out.

Here's my current stance with just a roll

b6a6f9543c030c5cf67a2ddaad83c48b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimboScum

Jul 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Awesome thanks for the tips.

I'm going to try to keep the liners for now, down the road I can always roll the tabs all the way up and take the liner out.

Can't wait for the paint to be finished, I haven't driven her in almost 2 years.