Feels like timing is pulled at 5.5k

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
This thing idles and runs great until I try to go to redline, it just falls off and kinda sputters at around 5500 rpms. Every where else in the powerband below say 5500, it drives perfectly, nice clean acceleration.

Wideband says I am going crazy rich like high 7's to low 8's at WOT. Acceleration is smooth and clean until about 5500 to 6000. Haven't gone past there because don't want to eff it up.

Stock twins, stock boost ~11 lbs, RC Eng. flowed the side feed 440's (the non resistor pack ones), fresh NGK BKR7E plugs gapped to .28, SARD ecu. Fuel pressure on Aeromotive is at ~37 lbs at idle with vacuum plugged in and rises fine with boost. AFC NEO is zeroed out across the board--all 16 rpm points. Swapped in my spare 1j map sensor with no change.

What I don't understand is that when the wideband says it is way rich, I'm not really seeing that much smoke if any from tailpipe, when my 7m ran rich the back of my car would surely indicate this condition as well as the rear view mirror.

The next thing is that when I pull the plugs out for inspection, they are still almost white, not quite the nice tan color but not all the way white either. I don't know If my wideband is lying to me are what, but the afr's at idle are right there where they are supposed to be.

I get no codes, haven't used any oil which still looks new after almost 750 miles, twins don't smoke, on start up or on decel.

On the 7m, it would run way rich, smoke fuel out the back but would always pull to past redline with out breaking up like my 1j.

Is it possible to be running that rich at WOT with plugs not indicating it, also without the trademark cloud of black smoke?

Could it be pulling the timing or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any thoughts however insignificant you think they me be would be appreciated.

I feel like I may have just missed something simple in my swap keeping me from my much deserved bliss of the 7000+ redline from my SARD ecu.

Thanks

Wayne

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Pull some fuel with the AFC, the stock 1jz all ready runs RICH w/ the stock injectors in the upper range then add on the 440s, its choking out on fuel

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
tissimo;896167 said:
Pull some fuel with the AFC, the stock 1jz all ready runs RICH w/ the stock injectors in the upper range then add on the 440s, its choking out on fuel

Yeah, thats what I thought except for two things, the plugs are not showing the signs of running rich and very little observed smoke out of tailpipe.

Is it possible that the plugs are "cleaning" themselves of the rich condition?

Wayne

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
they're clean cause they're being cleaned with raw fuel, lol

pull 10-15% throughout the range and see what happens

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Hello guys, Wayne's new engine happens to be my old engine out of my Soapra. I pulled the engine out running and making 400+ hp with no problems. The timing belt is a HKS belt that has about 2500 miles on it. Its wierd that it's doing any of this. I still think it's running rich.

Wayne I have no idea, on what's going on with the engine. I wish I was there to help you out man. I hope I see you in LA, when you stop and visit. I want to interogate you! :)

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
soapra;897522 said:
Hello guys, Wayne's new engine happens to be my old engine out of my Soapra. I pulled the engine out running and making 400+ hp with no problems. The timing belt is a HKS belt that has about 2500 miles on it. Its wierd that it's doing any of this. I still think it's running rich.

Wayne I have no idea, on what's going on with the engine. I wish I was there to help you out man. I hope I see you in LA, when you stop and visit. I want to interogate you! :)

lol, think I may have figured it out, I mounted the igniter I got with the 1jz I bought here with Ken in the bay first, before I got yours and consequently left it in there. Put the one you sent to me and I think that did the trick, still havent taken it past 6800 but seems to be clean and smooth to there. Thanks for the reply.

I will be there to see what is "crackalacken".

I will bring that ac piece with me.

Wayne