Feedback Requested for 7M Powered MX-73

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Well people, I'm in the planning stages for an N/A 7M swap into my MX-73 (5M-GE). I've been here long enough to appreciate the wealth of information you all have and like this site more than anywhere else I've been in the last couple of years.

However, and this is a big one, this is a SUPRA site and what I'm planning to do is in a CRESSIDA. How do you all feel about posers like me putting non-Supra builds onto a Supra site?

If it helps, IJ's supplying the engine (Thanks again IJ) and it is a Supra 7M, not a Cressida one. :naughty:

Anyway, feedback appreciated. If the thoughts are mostly negative, I'll gladly not put the buildup on this site and continue to stay up to date with everyone else's builds as I have for the last few years. Otherwise, I'll put something in the buildup/gallery as soon as there's more to report.

Thanks!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Forgot to mention the determining factor here - COST!

The GE is affordable, the GTE is not (in my case at least). Plus there's the little details like wanting to use my stock A43D auto trans (again, trying to keep this affordable) and keep mounting as simple as possible. I'm going to try to keep this as simple as possible to start, as this will be my first engine transplant.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah man...$$$ and the wife always seem to cramp my style on the car thing :3d_frown:
LOL!

BTW...a friend of mine and myself are in the planning stages of dropping a turbo 7M into '90 Cressida. A lot of custom work routing pipes, etc...we're probably going to keep it mostly a stock motor due to the same thing...COST!

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
jdub said:
Yeah man...$$$ and the wife always seem to cramp my style on the car thing :3d_frown:
LOL!
!

True that, wifes cost money and cars cost money..What are we gonna do when we gotta spend so much money on both :( Stupid Biatches

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Heh, I'm lucky with my wife, she costs very little. However, when it comes to cars, she would prefer I never spend any money at all! So yeah, Jdub, you hit it on the head with that one! Glad to see I'm not alone.

The reason I'm wanting to do this at all is that I've been feeling a bit left out over the last 5+ years with my brother (ihi-rhc7) and dad (supra89dad - I think) doing all kinds of cool stuff to their Supras. I knew when I bought the Cressida, that that was as close to a Supra as I was likely to come! With the 7m conversion, at least I'll be able to tap into the resources my brother and dad have up their sleaves! Not to mention the rest of the Supra community!

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
In my opinion, I wouldn't mind and wouldn't care. In fact I really want to see it happen. :icon_bigg

I drive an N/A MA70 and I love that car. But I also kind of wanted a second car so I could have some weekends only driving for the MA70. I can't of course, but if I could I would get an MX73 because I like the car.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
These are all positives so far guys - thanks! I do like my MX73. It's been growing on me since I picked it up. I think that tends to happen any time you have to put a lot of work into something. You either love it or hate it! It's comfortable (although the buttons in the plush seats are a bit harsh on my skinny ass!), has a reasonable amount of power, fairly fuel efficient (about 23miles per gallon), easy to work on.

I hope to address the "reasonable amount of power" and "fairly fuel efficient" items with the swap. Power will definitely go up and I'm hoping fuel efficiency will as well with the better stock engine management. I realise that might be outweighed by the increased displacement but am still curious to see how it goes.

BosoMKII: Thanks for the links! I am a member of the cressida forums already and used to post all the time. However, I find there's only a handful of people there who really know their stuff and it's no where near as active as it was when I joined a few years back. Still, I'll likely post my buildup there as well.

What I'm finding really funny is there's VERY little info on an NA 7M swap for my car. Lots on the Turbo swap and even a bit on 1J swaps. There's also very little info on what the limits are for my transmission. Hopefully what I post up will be helpful to anyone else wanting to give this a try!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Werd. As far as I can tell swapping the GE is the same as the GTE, but easier. There are a few less complications mostly just because of less "stuff" attached to the engine.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
From what I understand, it's pretty much a bolt on affair. The main issue is going to be electrical integration into the rest of the car. As far the engine goes, it'll be managed by a stock NA Auto ECU. That should just leave splicing into the car's electronics (mostly dash indicators from what I can tell) and the ECT for the transmission. I'm also not entirely sure about fuel lines, power steering hoses (the 5m sits on the top side, next the the water pump and the 7m is down low), air conditioning, and exhaust. I think those are all managable though. Having the engine on a stand and taking my time should prove a huge help.

I'll let this thread run a few more days before posting a proper one in the builds section. I'd still like more feedback from others before assuming anything.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Seriously, just put in a stock 7MGE auto or 5spd.
it will be plenty quick enough for a DD and reliable enough as well.
You can always NA-T it in the future if you want something more unreliable. ;)

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
mickyg said:
Well people, I'm in the planning stages for an N/A 7M swap into my MX-73 (5M-GE). I've been here long enough to appreciate the wealth of information you all have and like this site more than anywhere else I've been in the last couple of years.

However, and this is a big one, this is a SUPRA site and what I'm planning to do is in a CRESSIDA. How do you all feel about posers like me putting non-Supra builds onto a Supra site?

If it helps, IJ's supplying the engine (Thanks again IJ) and it is a Supra 7M, not a Cressida one. :naughty:

Anyway, feedback appreciated. If the thoughts are mostly negative, I'll gladly not put the buildup on this site and continue to stay up to date with everyone else's builds as I have for the last few years. Otherwise, I'll put something in the buildup/gallery as soon as there's more to report.

Thanks!
Sounds sweet, turbo cough cough.

By the way, who is IJ. Never heard of him :dunno: