Fat misfire. lots of smoke

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
I pulled the plugs to try to see what cylinder was misfiring, but all the plugs had an effect on idle. But when doing the paper trick to the exhaust, it sucked in the paper a lot. Also, its burning a lot of oil, tons and tons of smoke is coming out of the divorce downpipe and the exhaust.

When driving earlier today, I noticed the misfire a little at idle but wasn't too concerned. then after running a little hard and parking at a friends house it was missing alot more. But I shut it off. When I restarted it a ton of smoke poured from the engine bay, and after investigating, I found that it was coming from around the exhaust manifold.

The cam cover was somewhat lose, so i tightened that down, but the main thing was that the manifold studs were loose. Some of the smoke was coming from the loose manifold, but mainly out of the exhaust. I was thinking it could be a stuck valve. The turbo is under around a month old, i bought it from albert. I don't think its that though because its "chugging". Each "chug" equates to a thick cloud of smoke.

Vacuum is normal, and it boosted normally on way to friends house. Any ideas?

Edit: found some oil on the ground, maybe it is the turbo?

Michael

Last edited:

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
if the manifold is loose it will missfire, as fresh air will leak into the turbo and will give the O2 sensor a false read, which will casue rich conditions.

is the smoke blue? or black?

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
yeah ima check for shaftplay tomorrow night after work, the smoke is pure white. But im pretty sure its oil burning even though its white and not blue.

Do manifolds just come loose randomly lol? why did this happen all of a sudden.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
on ours they do, with thermal expnasion they losen over time, plus the weight of the turbo doesnt help, espcially if the sway brackets are missing.

common to have the stud holes re-drilled and helicoiled on a rebuild so they grip better.

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
yeah so no shaft play, and my oil is actually full. and im low on coolant. oh god please dont tell me bhg. If i was burning coolant, where are some likely places it could be coming from? i dont see any coolant on my dipstick. or that milkshake or whatever u call it

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
White smoke is always water. prob blow a piece of the head gasket out between 2 cylinders why their is no coolant in your oil, or at least enough to see.
I really cant remember if theirs any coolant passages going through the intake manifold. I can only think of a couple lines that go to throttle body and IAC.

Last edited:

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
hmmmm i checked again, my downpipe was all oily. i am so confused lol. will investigate further again, i pulled my rack for some stupid reason instead of checking my engine out lol

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
87GWSupra;1776125 said:
White smoke is always water. prob blow a piece of the head gasket out between 2 cylinders why their is no coolant in your oil, or at least enough to see.
I really cant remember if theirs any coolant passages going through the intake manifold. I can only think of a couple lines that go to throttle body and IAC.

oil CAN smoke white (although probably not the case here)and there is a coolant line that runs into the lower portion of the intake manifold

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
if you think it is oil burning,and it is close to the turbo,check the oil lines coming from the turbo. but whit smoke sounds like a BHG to me.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
it's quick and easy to do. best case scenario is that there's nothing wrong. worst case is that you've popped the headgasket through from the combustion chamber to the coolant passage. in this case, drain the coolant from the radiator and block, may as well drain the oil as well, clean the headgasket surfaces on the head and block (blocking off the oil & coolant passages to prevent gasket from getting in), slap a new factory headgasket on it with ARP head bolts or studs and be done (if you're on a budget and need it to run soon).

I've been running strong on new factory hg with ARP studs for the past 5k miles. Biggest problem I have is a boost leak somewhere lol

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
Moy;1776471 said:
it's quick and easy to do. best case scenario is that there's nothing wrong. worst case is that you've popped the headgasket through from the combustion chamber to the coolant passage. in this case, drain the coolant from the radiator and block, may as well drain the oil as well, clean the headgasket surfaces on the head and block (blocking off the oil & coolant passages to prevent gasket from getting in), slap a new factory headgasket on it with ARP head bolts or studs and be done (if you're on a budget and need it to run soon).

I've been running strong on new factory hg with ARP studs for the past 5k miles. Biggest problem I have is a boost leak somewhere lol

Thanks, I did a quick compression test first, and coolant sprayed all over my face from the sixth cylinder. Sigh...gotta bust out money now.

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
oh wait, i was thinking, how did so much water get into the 6th cylinder? Do you think it could be a cracked jacket or something? When I compression tested, it literally sprayed out of plug six as fast as it would if you squeezed a water bottle. But way messier lol.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
bad bhg with a chunk of gasket missing letting water seep into the combustion chamber, especially so during cranking (water pump moving water through and forcing some into the chamber) can do what you described. I wouldn't jump to worst case scenario (cracked head/block) first. Either way you're having coolant piss out so pretty sure it's safe to say the head is going to have to come off anyway...