Fan Shroud Broken....Car won't Start

wooooosh

Apr 8, 2006
Inverness,FL
I was driving home from work yesterday and I heard a few loud bangs coming from the engine and under the car and then I saw some steam. I pulled over and open the hood to find half of the fan shroud gone. Freon was spraying ever where. I couldn’t find any damage to the hose. The fan has a cracked blade and there are several swirl marks on the radiator. I drove home another 30 miles and no problems. When I got home Freon was spraying everywhere.

Now here is my problem, I went to start the car and when I turn it over it dies. If I turn the ignition off and turn it on it does the same thing. A few times the lights pop up and down and the little fans come on. Also I hear clicking, like the battery is dead.I thought maybe it’s electrical since Freon was all over the engine. The battery is new. Any ideas why the car isn’t turning over? Thanks.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I don't see how all the freon wouldn't have leaked out over 30 miles of driving if it was "spraying everywhere" It should take like 2 minutes at that rate. Also you shouldn't have driven the car with an unbalanced (ie broken) fan, that can cause some issues.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I'd do the regular checks, and check for physical damage to wires,ect. Very well could of put a hole in your condenser. Bye bye:sadwavey: A/C good luck man. I'm sure its somthing minor.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
How would he get a hole in the condenser, but not the radiator?

Condenser: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=8718&P=1

Radiator: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=1603&P=1

The condenser is on the front side of the radiator, so if his radiator isn't leaking, it's very, very unlikely that he punctured the condenser.

More likely, if it was in fact "freon", that he hit one of the rubber/padded soft lines coming off the compressor. (88711)

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
shaeff;1247760 said:
How would he get a hole in the condenser, but not the radiator?

Condenser: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=8718&P=1

Radiator: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=1603&P=1

The condenser is on the front side of the radiator, so if his radiator isn't leaking, it's very, very unlikely that he punctured the condenser.

More likely, if it was in fact "freon", that he hit one of the rubber/padded soft lines coming off the compressor. (88711)

Very true sorry, I thought it was the otherway around, its been a while since i've seen under the hood of my car.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
If you drove 30 miles with a noticeable coolant leak you have major problems. I would venture to guess that your fan and shroud were broken when your water pump bearing failed dropping a spinning fan into radiator. Most likely at this point you need an engine.

stabbinkabbin

Jul 18, 2008
Spring TX
dumbo;1247774 said:
Very true sorry, I thought it was the otherway around, its been a while since i've seen under the hood of my car.

You must not have the 7m in there =P.

Kckazdude;1248088 said:
If you drove 30 miles with a noticeable coolant leak you have major problems. I would venture to guess that your fan and shroud were broken when your water pump bearing failed dropping a spinning fan into radiator. Most likely at this point you need an engine.

I would say remove the water pump and see what your working with first.

Have you ever messed with your fan shroud or inspected the bolt holes for damage or cracks? That's what happened to me awhile back tsk tsk on my part. it sheared some fins right off. I also had a stiff fan clutch though.
as for the coolant spraying for 30 miles he could have had a very very slight leak under high pressure which would have made it more steam like and get on electronics that may just need to dry out over a period.

Any ways my .02

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If the engine won't physically crank over, then you prolly have a frozen waterpump, cause massive drag on the belt assembly. Happened to me and seemed like a weak battery.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
cabbinstabbin- I do have a 7M-GE-T, but its at home, and I never am:(

wooosh- check your battery voltage, codes, does your alt have a belt on still? is it tight, coolant may cause it to slip too. if it was a small leak, just steam basically, i'm sure you'll be fine. just check everything out and get back to us.

wooooosh

Apr 8, 2006
Inverness,FL
Thanks for everybodies help.

a very very slight leak under high pressure which would have made it more steam like and get on electronics that may just need to dry out over a period.

yep that was it. I washed the coolant off of eveything. A few hours later it startd right up. How important is the fan shroud. The one I had on there was brand new from the dealer and it was on the car for about 6 months.Do i really need it? I drove a year with out one, it was just really loud.Also should I not be driving with a broken blade on the fan,about 2 inches are missing.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
wooooosh;1248602 said:
Thanks for everybodies help.

yep that was it. I washed the coolant off of eveything. A few hours later it startd right up. How important is the fan shroud. The one I had on there was brand new from the dealer and it was on the car for about 6 months.Do i really need it? I drove a year with out one, it was just really loud.Also should I not be driving with a broken blade on the fan,about 2 inches are missing.

A broken blade will cause a inbalance, and wear out the bearing in the water pump i belive, i would not recomend it. as for the shroud i would also not recomend it, but not as much.

EDIT: I tried to find the video they showed us in school about fan shrouds, but no succsess. Basically without a shroud the majority of air "twirls" around the outer edge of the fan blade, greatly reducing the volume of air going through the rad itself, I would get one from a wrecker or DIY.

stabbinkabbin

Jul 18, 2008
Spring TX
I wouldnt drive with broken fan blades as already stated it seems to me it would mess up your water pump and not cool properly . I would also keep the shroud it prevents the air from just hitting the hood i guess directing it more towards the engine instead of just up and out. they say when you go e-fan to try to retain the shroud as well.

hmm so new radiator, and whichever hose if any busted, new shroud, new fan, inspect water pump, and fan clutch, and you should be good to go hopefully?

Last edited:

wooooosh

Apr 8, 2006
Inverness,FL
I think a piece of the shroud got caught in the fan and spun it around. I couldn't pull over right away.I squeeze the top hose and coolant was squirting out of the radiator.

stabbinkabbin

Jul 18, 2008
Spring TX
stabbinkabbin;1248094 said:
I would say remove the water pump and see what your working with first.

Have you ever messed with your fan shroud or inspected the bolt holes for damage or cracks?

I would still check the water pump.. even if you think it was only the shroud, you never know if that pump was old and you drove home 30 miles on an inbalanced fan. 1-2 hrs of time doing so will save you alot of time and money down the road.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
My two cents here is the replace the radiator and switch two electric fans I put 2 12inch fans on my old supra and it ran a lot cooler plus they come with shrouds. it will cost the same or less than a new fan and shroud and no do not drive it with out one it is there to protect the fan and it also helps pull air through the radiator.