Failed Emissions Testing 3 times??

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
because even if you have a leak after the o2 sensor, the sniffer will STILL pick up how shitty his car is running... i tried it with a HUGE gap between my after cat flange that the exhaust, yeah.... DIDNT WORK.

stock exhaust isnt it either...

Go check your EGR and make sure all of that is correct.
Make sure your plugs are good and the gap is correct.
make sure all of your vacuum lines are on, and they arent cracked to shit.
pull off the cat and visually inspect it. i was able to see straight through my brand new cat i bought for $70 and once i did that i passed with flying colors.
TIMING is very importatnt if you want to pass, if timing isnt set at 10 degrees with the clip in the diagnostic port, your wasting your time with everything.

what changes were made between test 2 and test 3? nothing?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Slow_Sc3;1148669 said:
how is that a problem make a small leak after the o2 sensor im pretty sure im not the only person that has ever done that.

or how about you just put the stock exhaust/ cat back on the car...... i guess its just too easy to try and do things the simple way.

How about changing the plugs, check the wires/timing and fix any vac/intake/IC piping leaks to eliminate the CAUSE of the high HC. The route you suggest completely ignores the problem...it's also why people have so much trouble with these cars. They do crap like this with no clue how the ECU controls engine parameters. Once again, this is the Tech Section...post BS like that and you will get called on it.

An aftermarket exhaust and high flow cat should pass emissions easily...been done hundreds of times.
Your solution is neither simple nor easy, and it's damn sure not the right way to fix the problem.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Rennat;1148675 said:
because even if you have a leak after the o2 sensor, the sniffer will STILL pick up how shitty his car is running... i tried it with a HUGE gap between my after cat flange that the exhaust, yeah.... DIDNT WORK.

stock exhaust isnt it either...

Go check your EGR and make sure all of that is correct.
Make sure your plugs are good and the gap is correct.
make sure all of your vacuum lines are on, and they arent cracked to shit.
pull off the cat and visually inspect it. i was able to see straight through my brand new cat i bought for $70 and once i did that i passed with flying colors.
TIMING is very importatnt if you want to pass, if timing isnt set at 10 degrees with the clip in the diagnostic port, your wasting your time with everything.

what changes were made between test 2 and test 3? nothing?

My timing was set a 10° but not sure about the clip on the diag. port part??

Been wanting to check my EGR and see if needs to be cleaned....so I'll take a look at that too.

Between tests 2 & 3 I used a bottle of Chevron Techron in the gas tank.
img_concentrate_plus.jpg

jdub;1148678 said:
How about changing the plugs, check the wires/timing and fix any vac/intake/IC piping leaks and eliminate the CAUSE of the high HC. The route you suggest completely ignores the problem...it's also why people have so much trouble with these cars. They do crap like this with no clue how the ECU controls engine parameters. Once again, this is the Tech Section...post BS like that and you will get called on it.

An aftermarket exhaust and high flow cat should pass emissions easily...been done hundreds of times.
Your solution is neither simple nor easy, and it's damn sure not the right way to fix the problem.

JDUB, I plan on picking up some new Toyota plugs and wires today, don't think I have a vac leak, i've been checking...

This eluding me... :cry:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
1st - Check for codes:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx

Certain error codes can affect timing and preclude accurately setting it.

This is how you set timing:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTips/setting_timing.aspx

This is not eluding you yet...you've missed a couple basic things to do.
You don't have to pay dealer prices for plugs...NGK platinum's are good for a stock engine and are available at most part stores. Gap at 0.031".

Your EGR is likely functioning fine, otherwise your NOx reading would be a lot higher.

Chevron Techron Concentrate is good per my previous post...might want to do it again.

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
I agree about egr and the O2

A dead O2 I believe would cause a visible code.

I would check the converter for sure after verifying your ignition is up to par. I have seen those converters fail prematurely many times in the past on Supras.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Ok do what J Dub says and also with your DDP thats another problem i ran into. I put the stock dp on with the stock pre-cat and passed with flying colors. Another route if the plugs and wires and checkin for leaks just in case it still fails. If your running only one cat with old plugs, wires, and leaks is gonna cause high hydrocarbons.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
gtsfirefighter;1148581 said:
To anybody in the market for a catalytic converter, may I suggest you go through
http://www.exhaustdepot.net/edbol3higflo.html
It is a 3" hi-flo cat.

I purchased one for my 86.5 w/gte conversion. It passed emissions with flying colors and the performance of the car was terrific.

Sorry for the shameless plug but I think more people need to know about their product.

i know this is off topic but i had a question

is that the same high flow cat that they offer on suprastore?

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Picked these up today from Toyota:

- New Plugs
- New Wires
- BG Fuel System Dryer

My buddy at the parts dept. told to try the fuel dryer to lean out my gas to help with the NOx. Think I'll try half the bottel with a half tank of gas....not sure I want to run it all. Thoughts?

DSC00831.JPG

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
dude you went to toyota and bought plugs?!?!?!

we told you go to an auto parts store and get NGK or Denso Plats! (you bought the same thing in a fancy Toyota box)

you shouldn't keep trying Additives bud. :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depending on if he has a nice hookup at the dealer, the OEM plugs may have been cheaper than the parts store (mine where).

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Poodles;1151113 said:
Depending on if he has a nice hookup at the dealer, the OEM plugs may have been cheaper than the parts store (mine where).

Exactly. I get my parts close to cost price. :icon_razz

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supra469;1151099 said:
My buddy at the parts dept. told to try the fuel dryer to lean out my gas to help with the NOx. Think I'll try half the bottel with a half tank of gas....not sure I want to run it all. Thoughts?

I'll bet (since it's "Dryer") that it contains alcohol...that will not help with NOx. Alcohol does burn hotter, exactly what you don't want to do where NOx is a problem. Besides, HC is what you failed on the 3rd test not NOx...so why are you worried about it?

You can use it...it will get your CAT nice and hot ;)

Make sure the plugs are gapped at 0.031" before you install them.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Supra469;1151099 said:
Picked these up today from Toyota:

- New Plugs
- New Wires
- BG Fuel System Dryer

http://lh4.ggpht.com/ForumAdminTalk/SO-GKF5kBMI/AAAAAAAAAS0/lcUzQoJxjCo/s400/DSC00831.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

You made the right choices. Autozone and Advance here both charge the same price on the NGK and Nippondenso plugs as the dealer.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, people yelled at me for buying plugs and wires from the dealer too...

Stock wires come with the looms while aftermarket is the same price and doesn't come with the looms and haven't been proven to be any better. Same with the plugs.

Now if you have a dealership with the 300% markup I've seen...

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yup. a stock pp and clutch disk is close to $300!!!! at the ONLY local dealership around of course. good thing there's champion. only $120 for the two.