Factory toyota coating/plating on steel parts

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I keep seeing just about everything that toyota sells that's steel from bolts, to oil Pans, to the inside of my fuel tank, it all has a coating/plating that gives it a yellowish color that seems to never rust. What is that coating/plating?

Is it zinc? Or some other coating? It seems Newer parts have a white coating instead of the yellowish coating. Are they the same?

Thanks,
Dan

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Lol. "Sticky"?

I had a bunch of my stuff re-zinc'd, because i do like it.

p1941680_1.jpg

p1941680_2.jpg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Supraguy: where did you have that done? how much was it? Send a pm if you dont want to say here.

That was just a plane "zinc plating"? Or did it have one of those "triconiumic-distroniumate" fancy names?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Nosechunks;1941721 said:
Supraguy: where did you have that done? how much was it? Send a pm if you dont want to say here.

That was just a plane "zinc plating"? Or did it have one of those "triconiumic-distroniumate" fancy names?

Yeah, it was zinc chromate plating. I had it done at a place called Metal finishers of Atlanta - MFA.
They do all kinds of plating, including gold, chrome, and anodizing in colors.
It cost me $150 to have all my stuff done. Their minimum charge is$100, + $50 for setup(clean, and wire lace the parts).
I could have had more done for that price, but i didn't have any more stuff to be plated at the time.
See my build thread for a few more pics of the parts.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
yhatzee89;1941688 said:
Oh that stuff, yeah that's great. I was talking about the coating inside the fenders and such.

I'm curious too

The chsiss I stripped had a greenish/grey coat on the floors under the chip guard/paint

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
supraguy@aol;1941680 said:
I had a bunch of my stuff re-zinc'd, because i do like it.

p1942427_1.jpg

hmm that's sweet I had things like that powder coated I didn't think about zinc coating or anything not sure how local that would have been to me compared to powder coating