Factory oil pressure sender. Is it needed?

Suprajay

MrGoFast
Apr 11, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
Well here is my dilemma I currently have my engine out due to a bad valve so I decided to rebuild the whole engine since I had it out already. Now while I was disassembling the engine for the machine shop I accidentally broke the connector that goes on the oil pressure sender. I have since then ordered a digital oil pressure gauge from glowshift that comes with its own sender. Now I know the factory sender sends a signal to the ecu not just the gauge. My question is what is this signal for? And would I have any adverse problems if I chose just to run the glowshift gauge and sender?

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
the glowshift gauge should have the same wire running to the ecu so it should be fine for replacement. and it obviously is for engine codes IE low oil/oil pressure

Suprajay

MrGoFast
Apr 11, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
Well I know ill have the low oil pressure light. I was more concerned with engine performance. Would the factory ecu be able to read the signal from the glowshift sender? If so I should be able to just splice it into the glowshift sender's signal wire correct?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Beals;1932362 said:
the glowshift gauge should have the same wire running to the ecu so it should be fine for replacement. and it obviously is for engine codes IE low oil/oil pressure

Wtf? All of that is just plain wrong.

OP: You can do without the stock sender. It's for idle control and the effects are minor.

Suprajay

MrGoFast
Apr 11, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
There are? I would like to hook my factory one back up to avoid having my oil pressure low light on. If you could can you post a pic of theses ports because I cannot seem to find them on the internet. If it doesn't affect performance I will be ok just want to avoid any unnecessary lights on the dash if possible.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Suprajay;1932751 said:
There are? I would like to hook my factory one back up to avoid having my oil pressure low light on. If you could can you post a pic of theses ports because I cannot seem to find them on the internet. If it doesn't affect performance I will be ok just want to avoid any unnecessary lights on the dash if possible.

Orange are all Pressure.

ports2.jpg