Experts need help! O2 Related

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Last week, i was putting my car back together i forgot to hang the O2 wires of the PVC line so it sat on the exhaust housing of the turbo and burnt. The car stalled out after the drive and won't start back up so my buddy helped me ghetto wire it and i got it home somehow while bogging out and stuff. The Check engine light was on and code was 21 (O2). So i replaced the O2 sensor today with a brand new DENSO 3 wire O2 sensor, i reset the codes by pulling the battery wires for good min or two. I start the car up, the check engine light still there and Code 21. I took it for a drive, the drives perfectly fine and idles prefect. But the check engine light is still, what's going on here ?? I m scratching my head. I reset the code multiple times and still the same thing.

Need some input please. Thanks

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
When the wires melted, and the circuit when short to ground, did you inspect the rest of the circuit after the plug?

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Nick M;1730782 said:
When the wires melted, and the circuit when short to ground, did you inspect the rest of the circuit after the plug?

No, not really ? So i should be checking all the wires on the harness or wires connecting to the Fuse box ??

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Harness that goes to the ECU.. Do a continuity test on the two heater circuit wires and also the signal wire. You can find the pin out in the TSRM for the right plugs

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
super.secret.supra.club;1730836 said:
you may have burned the ecu ground of the ecu is fried

+1 This happened to me. PO had the turbo heat shield off and melted the wires. I replaced the sensor, both ends of the plug, reset the ECU and still had Code 21. I changed the ECU and haven't had the code since.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Alright, I think it's my lucky day today!! A Member on here was close to my town and had an ECU with him. I met up with him and switched the ECU. No more Engine Codes!! went for a drive and everything and checked for codes. no codes!!

Thanks for everyone's Input and advice!! Really helped out! i think my ECU took a shit.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pretty sure it sounds like the problem was the o2 sensor wires melting and shorting out the ecu. Not that the ecu took a shit.

Only time i have ever heard of a ecu going bad was user error. Like here.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
hvyman;1730993 said:
Pretty sure it sounds like the problem was the o2 sensor wires melting and shorting out the ecu. Not that the ecu took a shit.

Only time i have ever heard of a ecu going bad was user error. Like here.

that's what i meant to say, that ECU took a shit because of the O2 Wires melting.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

jetjock;1731009 said:
The only possible way that could have happened was if the EFI fuse got blown and I didn't see that mentioned in the first post. Even then the odds of the ECU being damaged are slim.

Yes, the EFI fuse was blown, sorry i didn't mention it.