exhaust question

89 hardtop

Feb 14, 2012
avondale
I have a 89 n/a supra and I want a bigger exhaust. So my question is will a mk3 turbo 3 inch exhaust fit on my stock header or how do I get it to fit does it just bolt on?? The turbo exhaust is a cat back. Thanks for reading this post

89 hardtop;1805890 said:
I have a 89 n/a supra and I want a bigger exhaust. So my question is will a mk3 turbo 3 inch exhaust fit on my stock header or how do I get it to fit does it just bolt on?? The turbo exhaust is a cat back. Thanks for reading this post

A person on here is sell a 2.5 inch for na. Search for it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
3in is too big for a na.

All exhaust systems are cat backs and from memory the turbo exhaust is shorter for the cat back. Would have to have a section welded to Mate it up. Doesn't bolt on.

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
The NA HKS exhaust that's on the for sale section use to be mine. I had it on my 87 turbo and it bolted up just fine without any fitment issues. I now have the 3" bic stealth exhaust. So I dont think there's any difference in terms of fitment.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
The 2.5" Pacesetter exhaust is a nice fit, but tends to develop a nasty drone at around 2000 rpm. If you were prepared to put a resonator in it, it kills most of the drone, and the pacesetter exhaust is cheap enough to make it worth modding a little that way.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
not enough to justify the loudness for only a few hp.. I HATED MY 3INCH BORLA on my n/a... i was trying to do a straight trade for a stock system but i could never find anyone. Right now im waiting for my raptor racing exhuast to come in :).

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Not getting what you are saying, I have a pacesetter that had to have a little grinding and some of the mounting holes opened up to get it bolted on. Heard the same about the OBX

"hotdog" Looks like a "resonator" to me, was on the cat back system I put on also made by Pacesetter.

My knowledge...might be more...might be less...I'm probably 3times as old as you are...you do the math

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
A hotdog is just a lump in the pipe, a resonator is a small open chambered muffler. They both do different jobs as far as resonance goes.
I have a set of extractors on my car right now that needed zero mods to fit and fit perfectly.
Allow me to show you:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

As for the age card, I seriously doubt that. (not that it's cool getting old!).

AJ'S 88NA;1808776 said:
Not getting what you are saying, I have a pacesetter that had to have a little grinding and some of the mounting holes opened up to get it bolted on. Heard the same about the OBX

"hotdog" Looks like a "resonator" to me, was on the cat back system I put on also made by Pacesetter.

My knowledge...might be more...might be less...I'm probably 3times as old as you are...you do the math

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Never heard of an extractor brand header. Looks like the pacesetter as far as what the pics show.

The problems I'm talking about was with the flange fitment to the head, there was some interference with the distributor and like I said some of the holes didn't line up.

SRZMK3

Jimbo;1808601 said:
Do higher flowing exhausts really make a noticeable difference in NA's?

yes they do, the stock exhaust is extremely restrictive after the catalytic converter where that pipe does a Z before the muffler is the issue. the exhaust manifold isnt bad but could be better. the obx manifold makes it much louder because of the increase in tracking and it adds a little butt dyno power on the higher rpms. downside to that obx header is taht it makes the engine bay REALLY HOT and is difficult to get to the oil dipstick so a header wrap is a good idea.

a little modification of the header is required there is too much metal usually infront of the #1 cyl exhaust port that needs to be chopped off.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
AJ'S 88NA;1809007 said:
Never heard of an extractor brand header. Looks like the pacesetter as far as what the pics show.

The problems I'm talking about was with the flange fitment to the head, there was some interference with the distributor and like I said some of the holes didn't line up.

Extractors are what the rest of the world call headers. The brand of "header" I have is MPH. Here is a link to one of their Ebay auctions, like I said, these headers dropped on, unlike pretty much any set I've used before. They literally just slid onto the studs on the head, no interference anywhere at all:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-S...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4163040919

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Typhoon;1809426 said:
Extractors are what the rest of the world call headers. The brand of "header" I have is MPH. Here is a link to one of their Ebay auctions, like I said, these headers dropped on, unlike pretty much any set I've used before. They literally just slid onto the studs on the head, no interference anywhere at all:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-S...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4163040919

Glad to hear they dropped on, like I said a couple times now, most have experienced a few problems with what most identify with, pacesetter and OBX, but glad to hear you are in touch with "most of the ebay world"

BTW google headers and extractors see which hand gets full first :)

Last edited:

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
For me I like 3" exhaust, some of the other guys don't. Is it louder, maybe depends on what muffler. I ran 3" on my 84 MKII 6MGE years ago everybody said I was crazy. But with just an exhaust change the car was faster, went 9.8s from 10.0s in the 1/8th mile. Not a rocket but this was 1992, so that was doing something back then. You will loose some bottom end grunt as far as overall power gain:dunno: nobody has bothered to find out. It's a N/A why bother the usual response! On the flip side your power band shift is really nice, meaning more mid/top end. I will say if your car is automatic you will not like it, been there wont do that again:3d_frown: On this header/extractor debate, stateside we have Pacesetter, OBX, Thorley(if you can find them)... Across the water we don't know what is out there, boils down to the it's a N/A thing why bother. Very few less than 10 care! Nice to see another brand or rebrand out there. But its still the same old design (Pacesetter) that has been our only choice for years just a little pre modified to easy the installation pain. Raptor Racing in my opinion has the best header for I6 Toyota prehistoric engines 5,6,7MGEs. Problem is it only fits MKIIs.. It all comes down to which road you want to travel. If you plan to go turbo or 2J or 1J you will want to save your money. There will be an overload of info and cookie cutter copies damn near turn key combos at every corner! If want to travel down the N/A route were there are NO signs of life for miles and miles, just a few crazies here and there(AJ'S 88NA, Bugwugger a few others that rarely post and me) read this http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?65648-Header-Exhaust-System-Design. For me I don't like going out and at the next three tables it's like looking in the mirror:biglaugh: Good luck....