Exhaust Manifold Upgrade.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I did do a little research and i just couldnt find anything.

I plan to keep the stock twins for atleast a year or so as i dont have the funds to go single yet.

My idea is to upgrade the y-pipe and the exhaust manifold. The y-pipe has already been sourced and priced. Now I need to find out if there is an aftermarket exhaust manifold for the stock twin ct12's.

Sorry if this is a repost, I just really couldnt find anything.

I also completely forgot to mention that I am rebuilding the stock twins as well.

Last edited:

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
customs;1380198 said:
I did do a little research and i just couldnt find anything.

I plan to keep the stock twins for atleast a year or so as i dont have the funds to go single yet.

My idea is to upgrade the y-pipe and the exhaust manifold. The y-pipe has already been sourced and priced. Now I need to find out if there is an aftermarket exhaust manifold for the stock twin ct12's.

Sorry if this is a repost, I just really couldnt find anything.

There is no point in upgrading them, I'm sure they will easily out flow the stock turbos as they are.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
Turbo Drifter;1380709 said:
There is no point in upgrading them, I'm sure they will easily out flow the stock turbos as they are.

What do you mean there is no point..... Have you even seen the stock 1j y-pipe. It looks like someone squished it.
Bigger/cleaner diameter=better flow.

Why do you think people go with a mandrel bent exhaust over a crush bent exhaust.(providing they can afford it :icon_bigg )

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
i think what he is trying to say is what is point of upgrading the manifolds if the turbos cant even out flow the stock ones?

not saying its impossible, you can raise the boost but the turbos will normally fail before the manifold is outflowed

ahmed

Jan 31, 2009
cleveland
with the huge hassel it is to pull them off id wait to go single.

i had a coolant leak that forced me to pull my twins it was such a bitch and huge hassel its not worth puttin back on so i went huge single. i did my setup for 800 bucks and im making near 500 on medium boost

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
ahmed;1382314 said:
with the huge hassel it is to pull them off id wait to go single.

i had a coolant leak that forced me to pull my twins it was such a bitch and huge hassel its not worth puttin back on so i went huge single. i did my setup for 800 bucks and im making near 500 on medium boost

Its really not the cost to buy the turbo,manifold and intake. Its the cost of the injectors, going standalone, fuel pump, afm and ect. I'm fairly keen on trying to do this the right way the first time. I have had to learn the hard way one to many times when it comes to vehicles. Therefore I am now trying to go about this the right way.

For me its not about pushing more boost, but pushing the same boost with more efficiency. Resulting is less turbo abuse with more power gain. :icon_wink

p.s. The engine is not even in the car at the moment so it wont be difficult to remove the turbos anyways.

I also completely forgot to mention that I am rebuilding the stock twins as well.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
customs;1382209 said:
What do you mean there is no point..... Have you even seen the stock 1j y-pipe. It looks like someone squished it.
Bigger/cleaner diameter=better flow.

Why do you think people go with a mandrel bent exhaust over a crush bent exhaust.(providing they can afford it :icon_bigg )

I worded my response wrong and was talking about the manifolds, not the y pipe. I have seen a stock y pipe and in fact designed the ones you see cheaply knocked off on ebay and 935. I ran that one for 2 years on my car before I upgraded and sold it to the guy that sent it over seas to be knocked off.

There is no point in upgrading the manifolds with the stock turbos. Have you taken of the manifold and looked at them and compared them to the turbos and heads? There is no point upgrading the manifolds when the ports on the heads and turbines on the stock turbos are so small.

Yes upgrading the Y pipe dose make a difference and I believe makes the turbines last longer at high boost. I ran mine at 20psi for 2 years before going singe.

Its really not the cost to buy the turbo,manifold and intake. Its the cost of the injectors, going standalone, fuel pump, afm and ect. I'm fairly keen on trying to do this the right way the first time. I have had to learn the hard way one to many times when it comes to vehicles. Therefore I am now trying to go about this the right way.

It sounds like you have not learned enough doing it the hard way. Those AFM's sure are a big mod on the 1jz that uses a MAP system stock :aigo:

If you are planing to go single at some point I would spend the money on the parts that you can use later with the single not modding the stock turbo parts. But what do I know? I have only built a 7M and 3 diffrent turbo kits, 1jz with stock turbos BPU++, Single GT30R and IHI RHC7 for 550whp. Or maybe a 2jz swap stock with a DBBT67 or the built 2jz that was put in after that. Maybe it was working in a performance shop that specialized in custom turbo installs and building turbos for 2500hp drag cars. Guess I do not know much about modding Supras and cars in general.

A side note about rebuilding the stock turbos is that with the ceramic turbines chances are they will break in the rebuild process.

Good day.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Turbo Drifter;1382612 said:
I worded my response wrong and was talking about the manifolds, not the y pipe. I have seen a stock y pipe and in fact designed the ones you see cheaply knocked off on ebay and 935. I ran that one for 2 years on my car before I upgraded and sold it to the guy that sent it over seas to be knocked off.

There is no point in upgrading the manifolds with the stock turbos. Have you taken of the manifold and looked at them and compared them to the turbos and heads? There is no point upgrading the manifolds when the ports on the heads and turbines on the stock turbos are so small.

Yes upgrading the Y pipe dose make a difference and I believe makes the turbines last longer at high boost. I ran mine at 20psi for 2 years before going singe.

It sounds like you have not learned enough doing it the hard way. Those AFM's sure are a big mod on the 1jz that uses a MAP system stock :aigo:

If you are planing to go single at some point I would spend the money on the parts that you can use later with the single not modding the stock turbo parts. But what do I know? I have only built a 7M and 3 diffrent turbo kits, 1jz with stock turbos BPU++, Single GT30R and IHI RHC7 for 550whp. Or maybe a 2jz swap stock with a DBBT67 or the built 2jz that was put in after that. Maybe it was working in a performance shop that specialized in custom turbo installs and building turbos for 2500hp drag cars. Guess I do not know much about modding Supras and cars in general.

A side note about rebuilding the stock turbos is that with the ceramic turbines chances are they will break in the rebuild process.

Good day.

Good mix of advise and ass kicking imo :biglaugh:

A word to the OP: Myself and many others have completed their swap only to find out that the stockers are already blown. If your willing to do it right then ditch the CT12's