Exhaust manifold stud upgrade

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
bigaaron said:
Really? The tap handle is supposed to be for 1/4" to 1/2" taps but it is a different brand then the first one I used. On mine I just unscrewed the nut all the way out and it went right in. I'll check that out before I buy more of those, thanks for the heads up!

At first i didnt think it would fit, i had to take off the nut, put it through the bottom of the tap, (won't clear the threads) and bend the tabs a little bit, i managed to fit the tap in, and screw the nut about 3-4 rotations

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
Bigaaron are you still doing this? I'm interested in a out of car 7/16 kit. I would really preffer to get stainless steel hardware instead though. Is that an option?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Exhaust stud kits are still available!

The only one I don't have anymore is the 7/16" in-car kit, it was too difficult to make short 29/64 drill bits that would fit into a 3/8 chuck.
I don't honestly have the time to make stainless steel kits.

If someone can find a 7/16" x 2" coarse/fine stainless stud let me know where.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
bigaaron said:
I saw some chromoly studs 7/16 in ARP for $129!

I got some stainless 12 nuts w/ washers for the stock 10mm studs from ARP when I helicoiled mine...nuts were $5 and the washers were $1.50 each! They do hold really good though ;)

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Hellooo? sorry to bring this 2 plus month old thread back up. but I ran into a little problem today... seems like the engine I bought has had that exhaust stud problem happen. so besides the fact of being very pissed what would fit my needs better that 7/16 or the stock stud size? seems like two have stripped out and looks like helicoils have been used. so where do I stand in this??

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Do it once, do it right, buy Aarons kit. Trust me, you wont be sorry.

I did my own with the same hardware not knowing Aaron sold these kits. I had to make 3 trips to the parts store, because When I thought I was done another one would strip. If I had it to do again I would just buy Aarons kit and be done with it for good.

(keep in mind, if you use an aftermarket manifold you may have to drill out a couple of the holes. Also the gasket will be a real tight fit on those same holes and may need to be "stretched" a little to fit over the studs)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Thanks Weezl, these kits are still available and in stock. Here's the new pic of what is included:

p522151_1.jpg

I added these to the website now, so that is better then paypal for me.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
well I just placed my order. I feel a little better but still somewhat pissed. the company I bought the long block from were stupid to begin with.. then this happens, idk. all I know its gonna be great when I can finally drive it.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
cant really blame the company you got the longblock from. Every 7M Ive seen had to have the exhaust studs helicoiled

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
^true that ;). The head that's on my supra will not hold torque on the studs, good thin I'm going with a fresher head and block on my rebuild (hopefully one with no more than one BHG repair) ;). I'm not wasting my stud kit on the engine that's in my car right now.