exhaust manifold stud questions

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
hi, im about to change the headgasket on my 7m, and instead of putting my 200000 mile head back on im going to put a better condition head on. i got this head with my parts car, it looks to be in good shape, but im taking it to the machine shop soon anyway to be cleaned. but i noticed that it only has three exhaust manifold studs in it. do i need to buy one of these heli coil kits and replace them all? or can i just buy 4 new studs and put them where the missing ones went?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
crimson88;1643737 said:
hi, im about to change the headgasket on my 7m, and instead of putting my 200000 mile head back on im going to put a better condition head on. i got this head with my parts car, it looks to be in good shape, but im taking it to the machine shop soon anyway to be cleaned. but i noticed that it only has three exhaust manifold studs in it. do i need to buy one of these heli coil kits and replace them all? or can i just buy 4 new studs and put them where the missing ones went?

Grammar helps on this forum. First off, you didn't say if the studs were stripped. Also if a head is good it is good. Why do you think a lower mileage head is going to be different? I would have both checked. If you have stripped studs on the lower mileage head, you may need to helicoil it. You first needs to see if they're just not there, or if the studs are stripped.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
crimson88;1643737 said:

Depends on the condition of the threads. I know that only 2 out of 7 on mine came out perfect without taking the threads with it. And if your lucky those studs that are still in it will come out easy. I would recommend new ones personally at that mileage and some thread locker

sent from my ultimate droid

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
92TealSupra;1643740 said:
Also if a head is good it is good. Why do you think a lower mileage head is going to be different? I would have both checked. If you have stripped studs on the lower mileage head, you may need to helicoil it. You first needs to see if they're just not there, or if the studs are stripped.

I figured putting on a head that i knew had good valve clearance's, and good valve stem seals, would be better than putting my current head(which is not in good shape) back on. Was i wrong in this assumption?

I just checked, and two of the holes are stripped on the lower mileage head. I guess I'll have it helicoiled most likely.