Exhaust Fitment

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Alright, we're trying to decide what exhaust to put on the car and I'm wondering are there any exhausts that sit higher and closer to the body than others. The car will be getting lowered very soon and I'm real worried about ground clearance with the exhaust especially considering the stupid way it's routed.

It's a turbo, so we're going to need bigger piping to begin with. So I guess if anyone knows of an exhaust that will sit higher or if I'm going to have to go custom to get what I want.

So if anyone can make a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Tim

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
What kind of lowering springs will you be using?

Honestly, the only way you would have clearance issues is if the car is totally slammed. With lowering springs that don't slam the car, the only way you will bottom out is if you go over a bump too fast or try to climb a curb.

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Well, off the top of my head, I can think of two things that control the height of the exhaust as it hangs:

the length of the hangers
the length of the dp

But if you put it up too close to the body, you might have to install more heat shielding at the cat, resonator and the muffler so you don't have a heat issue.

Another thing to consider is that the exhaust might come into contact with the ds if its up too high:

http://www.ma70.com/bishop92t/techtips/ma70undercarriage1.jpg
http://www.ma70.com/bishop92t/techtips/ma70undercarriage2.jpg

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I would get the hangers as tight up to the body as I could. I'll deal with any heat issue if I have to. I mean if that's something I have to deal with because I need to raise the exhaust so I don't hit the ground, it's perfectly fine.

But are there any aftermarket exhausts that are routed differently to increase ground clearance. I'm exploring this option because right now, trying to get the car to an exhaust shop without getting arrested would be like playing russian roulette with a loaded gun.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
IJ, how low is your car? And were you able to run the 2.5" pipes any higher or was it just the decrease in diameter that got you the extra clearance?

Also, how low is everyone else's cars and what springs are you running. I'm thinking if I can get something that sits a little higher, with the spring rates we'll be running it might not be as much of an issue as I'm making it.

Either way, I would really appreciate more feedback and suggestions. I need to make a decision on this on Monday so the sooner the better.

Thanks guys.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My car is quite low just not slammed as my driveway has some bad peaks where it changes from level to slope :(

I ran the 3.5 to just about the trans crossmember and I think 4" there will severly limit ground clearance as this is the first point of contact for me.

bluemk3

cool
Feb 28, 2006
h burg, PA
what ever you do if you are worried about clearance dont get an hks drager ive got on e and at stock ride hight im still quite often scraping but i made a really nice skid plate for it so its not so much a deal but at stock ride hight and level ground ive got maybe ( max ) 4 inches under the axle. ps this ins 3.35 in. piping im pretty sure