Exhaust doesnt fit!? Pics.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im still not feeling confident with buying a whole new cat without any actual measurements to back it up. Does anyone have a stock 86.5 NA exhaust that i could compare the measurements with on my 89 Turbo cat back exhaust? This would be very much appreciated.

The thing that bothers me is that in the EPC all the years have the same cat and the same cat back system, so why am i running into this trouble? I see some parts websites that offer the same direct fit cat for both situations and some that dont.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Ive been waiting for a reply for approximately 100 days now but i think its too far gone for anyone to see it, so im trying to bump it back.

Every cat i cant get measurements for is approximately 11.5 inches long, which mine is also, i cant find any evidence that some cars had a shorter cat.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
thats so weird.

it bolted up to my car fine with the stock dp and hks dp with the stock cat that was 11.5 (i know this because i had to get a test pipe a cut it down to about 9" for my nurspec to fit right.)

the only thing i can think of is when they welded it back together did the just weld the two piece or did they use another piece of exhaust pipe for a slip joint that might have extended the length.

and i have a 2.5" testpipe made out of my old cat that is 9" long. you can have it just pay shipping. you can shorten that so you can save the exhaust.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
that would be cool but i cant find measurements anywhere of how it should be. Everyone that has the stock exhaust that i ask to measure it they are too lazy. I have no idea how long or short the flange to the resonator should be and i have no idea how long the cat should be, and i have no idea why this catback is longer than others there is only one part number in the tsrm. Theres so many questions that nobody knows the answer to because nobody cares about the stock exhaust

By the way the welds on the exhaust you sent me are all factory theres no other welds on it i can tell its original.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
OK so i have the same cat then (cali GE), its just the rear section that is longer... How does that work though. Does the cat sit further forward on the turbo cars compared to NA then? I thought the mounting hangers for the cat had to be the same for all models but apparently they arent because the cat is a few inches closer to the front on turbo cars.

This also contradicts common talk among the board that NA and Turbo cat backs are the same.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, I do know the piping is larger on the Turbo catback...

Other than that, I can't really comment. The front exhaust hanger is different on an N/A than it is on a turbo (or year dependant, I forgot)