Exhaust doesnt fit!? Pics.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
:cry:
I was tired of my aftermarket exhaust so i finally got myself to go out and buy me a stock one. I searched forever and finally found one from way far away, and had to fork over 130 dollars for it. Its in pretty good shape so i went with it (and i couldn't find anyone else selling one). Well then i didnt have the support hanger for it, so i try to find one on here, 1 week later someone says they have one, and they will just send two just because, so great. I get the package and its the rubber part of the hanger, not the metal part like i needed. So i say screw it nobody seems to have this part i will go to the dealer, so i buy a little friggen hanger for 20 bucks.

Several days later here i am ready to install this exhaust and what do you know, it doesn't fit. The back of the resonator is hitting on the sub frame right above where the diff mounts on the bottom. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong with this?! I was told turbo and NA cat backs were the same so im assuming this one should work for me. Here are pics

In the last few you can see where the resonator is hitting

p1162359_1.jpg

p1162359_2.jpg

p1162359_3.jpg

p1162359_4.jpg

p1162359_5.jpg

p1162359_6.jpg

p1162359_7.jpg

Here is how it is supposed to fit.
supra_bottom_h.jpg

On top of all that i live in an apartment complex and im not allowed to work on my car, so if i have it in the air it cant be for more than 20 or 30 minuets or someone is bound to see me or report me

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
does the muffler in the back stick out also? if so you may need to get a different cat... or just shorten the piping a little bit. i know that with the blitz exhaust, people had issues because of the different cat lengths...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
the back muffler is cut off so i dont know, so toyota put different sized cats on different cars and compensated for it by making the whole rear part of the exhaust longer/shorter?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i would see how the back muffler fits first, because if it isnt haning off, the exhaust has been modified... but if it is haning off like a rice mobile, then your cat is the longer version....

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
im pretty sure the whole exhaust is sticking back too far, sounds like the cat is too long, i cant really afford any more right now so il just put the custom exhaust back on and save this job for a later day...

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
N/A and Turbo show different part numbers in the EPC, but it shouldn't matter as aftermarket stuff bolts up to both just fine...

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
A related question... what are the dimensions of an oem muffler? Just wondering as I'm about to replace mine and don't want to get one that has fitment issues.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
can anyone else confirm what the problem is? Im interested in getting this exhaust mounted up soon and need to know what parts are necessary, it seems i need a shorter cat, does anyone know what years etc this smaller cat came on? Maybe just the turbos?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Need a pic of the cat you where trying to mount up to...

From the pic with the hanger, looks like you're a good six inches off...

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
did i sell you that? i think i did. if thats the one off my car it is the stock toyota exhaust of a 89 turbo from california. that might be the problem now that i think about it. i'm pretty sure that is the only car that has a different length exhaust that a little longer. and yeah its hella clean. it looked stainless to me. and says toyota all over it.

i would cut out the resinator (spelling) and put in a straight 2.5" pipe through there to add some grunt to the sound and fix the problem at the same time. or shorten it under the driveshaft where its straight.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Do NOT cut out the resonator if you value your sanity...

Looking in the EPC, the differences are:
-GE
-GTE
-GE Cali

Digging deeper, the 89+ N/A's had a different mid pipe and cat for Cali as well. Looks like you're just unlucky. You could probably just get a shorter cat and save you the hassle of modifying the exhaust that is in perfect shape...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
ack, messy situation. See i have a California 86.5 NA, and this exhaust is a California GTE 89. So is it for sure that the "shorter" cat will fix this, or a guess?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
why not just get 4'' cut out of the exhaust where its straight, and put a band clamp? then you could suck it in a little more, or poke it out a little if you wanted to.

your honestly making this WAY more complicated than it needs to be...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The exhaust is in pristine shape, its not common that you come along one like this, i want to leave it alone and fix it properly. Plus i cannot stand a crooked muffler, even if it is ever so slight.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
eh... its an exhaust, and your by the ocean, its gonna look like shit in 6months... especially with the rainy months upon us.

and a crooked muffler? thats why i said cut it where its straight. you could cut off a piece where the flange is a get a new flange welded on so its still "pristine" looking...

and measure your cat, i'll compare it to what i had on my 86.5...