Exhaust Bypass

micheesupra

Jul 31, 2011
Georgia
So apparently I can't stop spending money on my car and now I need help.

I got the 61 trim turbo, new intercooler and piping, 3" downpipe, injectors, etc... Now I need to finish the exhaust portion. About a year ago I saw a MK4 with a exhaust bypass at the drag strip. My plan is to not put a cat on my car just a muffler (I don't have emissions where I live and by the time I do, it will be an antique and I won't need it), but not an HKS. I want something that is quiet. If I put an exhaust bypass on then I can have the loud sound when I take her on the drag strip and quiet when on the street. (Sorry I don't like being followed by cops)

So my question is has anyone put an exhaust bypass on a 7mgte? I would imagine so, but any recommendations on the bypass (electric or manual, brand) would be great. Also I haven't picked a muffler so any suggestions other than the HKS would be nice.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I was planning to use an electric cutout, but never got around to putting one on after I bought a Blitz Nur Spec. Maybe once I upgrade the turbo I'll weld a new section into the downpipe with a cutout.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Definitely recommend an electronic one. I had one a few cars ago, it was pretty nice to hold a button for 10s and be running open down pipe and be able to close it when you want to be quiet. My first Supra had a 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlet Magnaflow muffler that was pretty low key. Had a decent rumble but wasn't terribly loud, at least not to me.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I've got the Tanabe hyper medallion cat-back, and I'm very happy with it. It's very quiet when running around at partial throttle, and even at WOT it's very well mannered. I'm running it with an RT downpipe, no cat.

micheesupra

Jul 31, 2011
Georgia
Just an update if anyone cares... I got the electric cutout and a muffler. Now I have to get everything put back together. I only have flintstone power right now.

micheesupra

Jul 31, 2011
Georgia
I got it off ebay. It's 3". I want to get a video once its on but need motor to be dropped in car first. Flintstone power will make for no noise unless I make stupid noises from my mouth. I want to get video of bypass on and off. The muffler I got should be quieter so the bypass will give me the sound for the drag strip. (plus power)

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
micheesupra;1790123 said:
I got it off ebay. It's 3". I want to get a video once its on but need motor to be dropped in car first. Flintstone power will make for no noise unless I make stupid noises from my mouth. I want to get video of bypass on and off. The muffler I got should be quieter so the bypass will give me the sound for the drag strip. (plus power)

Haha.. Please take pictures of the process. I've been thinking about doing this too for the longest time now!
any links to the parts you bought?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
What muffler did you buy?
I plan on doing an electric cutout for the same reasons, paired with a Borla muffler and possibly a mid muffler as well.
I want it real quiet for everyday driving, even at the expense of max power.

micheesupra

Jul 31, 2011
Georgia
I got a magnaflow 14834. I went on you tube and saw some videos of it. Its not completely quiet but its not bad. I may put a resonator on it too to help w noise. I figure for town driving I don't need max power. (Especially when a minivan pulls up next to me wanting to race.) I'll save my power for the strip.

micheesupra

Jul 31, 2011
Georgia
Magnaflow Muffler
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Bypass Kit
sm_photo_missing.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Nice.
I'd imagine it'll be slightly louder than you might want, but no big deal.
Like you said, you can add as resonator or muffler to the mid section later.
I have a generic Apexi-knockoff fartcan out back, and it's quite tolerable with the silencer in, but I wanted to get rid of some
of the drone, so I welded in a perforated resonator after the cat. Didn't do much, though.

New metal substrate cat, resonator, and 3" V-band:
p1790481_1.jpg