everytime in the morning when it's cold it wont start.

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
Hello everyone ,
Every time when I go to start my car it wont start on my first attempt but on the second attempt start's right up.I was thinking it might be the CSI or my temperature sensor to the ecu.If anyone can guide to the right direction it would be wonderful.
Thanks to everyone who might be able to help.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Any codes?
Sorta sounds like the 1st attempt is building rail pressure. Don't know why it would be cold-related, though.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
mine does the same thing and I tried replacing the csi, the csi sensor, and the coolant temp to ecu sensor with no change

its not a problem during summer and the warmer months and I usually drive my 4runner during the winter and such so ive been putting it off lol

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
BrandonW it's kind of suck not being able to drive your car in any season.I don't want mine to end up like yours and I don't mean it in a bad way.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
suprafreak123;1971986 said:
Hello everyone ,
Every time when I go to start my car it wont start on my first attempt but on the second attempt start's right up.I was thinking it might be the CSI or my temperature sensor to the ecu.If anyone can guide to the right direction it would be wonderful.
Thanks to everyone who might be able to help.

When starting on cold start i always turn it over for like 2 seconds to pressurize it and then turn it over again and it starts right up. Might check to see if your CSI is functioning properly.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Rail should pressurize as soon as the key is turned to engage the starter. My cars fuel pressure doesn't drop over night nor drop over a month, I just went out to check a leak and noticed my FP still at 34 PSI.

There's a problem with the car at all times but it only shows itself under harder starting conditions.

Last edited:

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
Hey Indigo,
What are some possible ideas that would cause fuel pressure to drop????
Bryan,
I should definitely look into that being one of the causes and Invest to get that fixed.

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
Here are some of the basic troubleshooting info that I found.
1. Battery discharged or low.
2. Fuel not reaching fuel injectors. Check fuel filter.
3. Defective spark plugs.
4. Intake manifold vacuum leaks. Check all vacuum hoses.
5. Faulty cold start injector system.

Hope this helps. Mine was the battery because I seldom drive the car.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IndigoMKII;1972138 said:
Rail should pressurize as soon as the key is turned.

Actually, the pump does not run without the STA signal or while running (Ks and Ne). I thought this has been covered here many times. Then again, if you don't read every thread (I sure don't) then you would not know.

When it is cold, you can check to see that cold start injector time switch has ground.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Nick M;1972287 said:
Actually, the pump does not run without the STA signal or while running (Ks and Ne). I thought this has been covered here many times. Then again, if you don't read every thread (I sure don't) then you would not know.

When it is cold, you can check to see that cold start injector time switch has ground.

Since you're deciding not to read around it, I'll re-word it for you.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Our system doesn't prime and if you have an aftermarket fuel pump like a walbro 255 it won't hold pressure when turned off.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
BryanDyer;1972349 said:
Our system doesn't prime and if you have an aftermarket fuel pump like a walbro 255 it won't hold pressure when turned off.

False, my gs341 walbro 255 held pressure fine, my walbro 400 does the same thing.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
suprafreak123;1972018 said:
BrandonW it's kind of suck not being able to drive your car in any season.I don't want mine to end up like yours and I don't mean it in a bad way.
I drive mine all the time just over the winter I just garage it for 3 month-ish since salt and whatnot usually comes out and I have another vehicle, plus helps keep the miles down

jetjock;1972074 said:
Then you should not take take the same approach to fixing it...
true not saying he should but I would like to see what he comes up with since I tried a few easy and cheap things thinking it had something to do with the problem

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If its an original fuel filter, i would suggest changing it, but i don't think it has anything to do with a hard start issue.
As for changing the csi, don't. Troubleshoot the car first, based on the TSRM.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Fuel filter issues cause a stall. And after it sits, it restarts. It shouldn't take much thought as to why it happens that way.