Ever think of selling your mk3?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yeah, I get frustrated with her sometimes, look at all the oil she's spilled on my driveway..

but then I wash/wax/polish her and say "Damn, that's a sexy bitch"...

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
johnathan1 said:
Technically, the Supra is considered a "Luxury GT" (Grand Tourer)...which means a combination of luxury and performance... The Supra is NOT just a sports car.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer

The Supra is even in their list of Grand Tourer's.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I can't see how anyone would see a 3500+lbs car with a 230 horsepower engine "sporty". Just because the car doesn't have a friggin cup holder doesn't mean it's meant to be a stripped out race car.

What a bloody idiot...

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
thesupe87 said:
Thanks for your feedback, guys - I've got a lot to think about.

jetjock - it's funny you mention that you still have your supra from 1987...that's kind of close to my story. My aunt was the original owner, only I bought it off her 7 years ago. She ordered it with a hardtop since she heard bad things about the targa top being unstable in cornering (she paid 21 or 22,000 for it). So, the car has stayed in the same family all this time. I got a good deal on it - I only paid $2500 for it, and I've already gotten that back in the money I've made off getting rear ended and fixing it myself.

The things I've had issues with:
-replaced leaking valve cover gaskets to stop the massive oil leak and retorqued the head bolts (preventative)
-had to recently replace the solenoids in the transmission (an all day job for me, the backyard mechanic)
-allignment issues, car used to eat tires
-overheating/overflowing cooling system issues (cause was a loose bolt on the front of the header - figured it out after much trial and error, and a lot of swearing. Thought I had a BHG but it wasn't one)
-Power window motor went
-Starter replaced twice (once when my aunt owned it, second time at 139k miles)
-replaced radiator/thermostat
-waterpump went bad
-I replaced the brake master cylinder

Other things that are general maintenance
-brake rotors and pads a few times
-LSD fluid replacement
-multiple coolant hoses
-new platinum plugs
-k&n air filter
-added a strut tower brace
-just about every bulb in the car (subwoofers in the trunk probably account for that, too much bass and vibration)

Is it just me or are Toyotas supposed to be more reliable than this? Maybe I got a bad one...what it all comes down to, is it's a 20 year old car, and I've had it from 13-to-20 years of age, so I'm getting the worse end of the stick when it comes to reliability.

For it being a 20 year old car that isn't that bad. I think Toyotas are very reliable, there is a guy who lives in my town with an MK1 that has 250,000 miles on it and he drives it everyday with no problems at all. It is rusted to hell but still runs. I told him I'll buy it when it breaks down and he told me that might be awhile lol

You should keep it and get a DD

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
cartel1_950 said:
yep everytime something else breaks it crosses my mind to ditch the supra but then i look at what most of my friends are driving and i couldnt' bring my self to join the crowd and drive some loser ass same as everyone else car!

I feel the same way most of the time - it's nice to be different. These cars are unique...The only time it's NOT good to have a different car, is when you're getting pulled over by PO-PO all the time. Cops probably think I'm some punk kid or something just because I have an 80s sports car with a big wing and chrome rims.

kingsupra said:
yea its true for its age it has some advanced features some cars today still dont have, eletronic 8 way adjustable lumbar support seats, leather interior, auto climate control, power locks, windows, mirrors, disc brakes, anti lock brakes, headlight washers, independent wishbone suspension

You're right - I've always said that. Try buying something new for under 30 grand that has everything listed here. You won't find it. It makes selling a car like this for 2 or 3 grand tops not even worth it. Better to keep the car, what the hell is 2 or 3 grand anyways...that's nothing. You can't even find a decent comparable car for that price.

cartel1_950 said:
yep everytime something else breaks it crosses my mind to ditch the supra but then i look at what most of my friends are driving and i couldnt' bring my self to join the crowd and drive some loser ass same as everyone else car!

I feel the same way most of the time - it's nice to be different. These cars are unique...The only time it's NOT good to have a different car, is when you're getting pulled over by PO-PO all the time. Cops probably think I'm some punk kid or something just because I have an 80s sports car with a big wing and chrome rims.

Manny said:
I was gonna put mine up for sale a few days ago, my mind said "yes", my heart says "no". I have way, way too much $$$$ in it. Sometimes not even worth it to sell, but for a long time now, I've been leaning towards a C6 Z06.

Dude, tell me about it. I've always loved your mk3 - I've seen it a few times up at Englishtown. You've definitely got a lot of time/money/blood/sweat & tears invested. You shouldn't sell that thing unless you absolutely have to, or if the price is right.

Supra JDS said:
For it being a 20 year old car that isn't that bad. I think Toyotas are very reliable, there is a guy who lives in my town with an MK1 that has 250,000 miles on it and he drives it everyday with no problems at all. It is rusted to hell but still runs. I told him I'll buy it when it breaks down and he told me that might be awhile lol

You should keep it and get a DD

I am definitely leaning towards keeping it garaged and taking it off the road for winters once I can find a DD that gets at least 30mpg highway. I don't want to drive a bucket, though - I want something at least semi-nice. I work too hard to force myself to settle for driving a geo metro or an old cavalier every day.

All this supra needs is new rear rotors, and a new battery. The timing belt is due to be changed for the second time (has about 60k miles on it now) but I know a guy that got 120k miles on his timing belt on his Dodge Intrepid, and it never broke. You just have to pop the cover and examine it every so often for cracks and tears.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
Mister Crispy said:
I was driving down a loal freeway last night at very elevated speeds.

I fucking love this car.

When it works.

I felt the same way this week - ONLY when it's running great. Even with my lowly non-turbo..it screams. Nothing like being able to pass out losers on the highway that try to mess. The 7M pulls hard and fast from 50-80 mph.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
hottscennessey said:
I've thought about selling mine a few times. I'd never get anything for it tho. It wouldn't be worth it.

Don't most Supra owners feel this way? :biglaugh:

I'd sooner drive the car into the ground before I'd sell it. For all the money I've dumped into it, I am kinda stuck with it.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I keep thinking about selling mine....but i want a turbo. thats my main reason. i have my heart set on a turbo with a jz, or a swap, or just totally throwing out the sportscar (or gt) theme and going with a 4runner. always loved those...

but then i walk by with her sitting in the garage and realize i have the only black supra in my county... (that i've seen, and i've seen several) and its just nice to have people come up to me and talk/ask about my car. you just dont get that with a car more common and i dont even drive around town that often! if i had more to do in town i wouldn't be surprised if i got a lot more people complimenting me....

but i do want to sell it.

and another thing...it would be hard getting more than 3k out of a n/a...and ive probably put more than that into it.... ah well.

yeah so i'm in the same boat. i dont know what to do.

if i knew enough to see how clean my chassis and body was (how close it is to perfection) i'd just wait for money to do a swap.... but i dont know how to figure that out.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
upgradedsupra said:
:umno:

Duane

ahh screw you and your high 4x stock horsepower wonder. it's not like your car and its gauges (that just happen to be in the site logo as i post) MATTER!!

foo.:slap:

lol:biggrinki

...j/k:runaway: :icon_wink

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Figit090 said:
ahh screw you and your high 4x stock horsepower wonder. it's not like your car and its gauges (that just happen to be in the site logo as i post) MATTER!!

foo.:slap:

lol:biggrinki

...j/k:runaway: :icon_wink

LOL...I love my car too much to ever sell it. I now need to buy a bike to be faster in the coming years :biglaugh: