Ethical Dilemma - Painting a MKIII 3E5 VS 202

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
p1770439_1.jpg

Nough said, Toyota 202 black. Cheap, simple, just straight Model T black with gloss on it.

Save yourself some time and just buy this car haha.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I stuck with the stock grey on my 88, but went with a slightly darker color used on the 2010 Toyotas with a heavy metal flake and a red flip. My parts are all painted and very happy with it (I dont have the color code sitting in front of me). I went darker because at night the car is very close to black unless under strong light and in the day, with the heavy metal flake it absorbs the colors around it so is either blue or close to red. The only problem I have found is photographing it without strong light makes the car red.. lol.

If I had a red one, I would go with a darker red (richer), but I love the red Supras. Black works if you have very clean body lines, but any flaw will show up easy.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
sounds like you need someone to convince you to choose black, there are a lot of nice pearl over black options....

and since your car s not a numbers car (which always make me laugh), do what will make you happier each morning you come out to it...

I mean, I have a buddy with a sweet 87 LS/SS-delete Monte Carlo, and I ask him is it your car, or the next owners... enjoy it now.,..

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
SupraMedical68;1770420 said:
Yeah, I'm definitely liking the gunmetal gray, I've always been a sucker for clean OEM colors. What color code do you have?

The only thing I'd say about the gray is, I'm repainting the 176 silver car a different shade of silver or gray (coming up this spring) if I were to use a gunmetal it'd have be on that car.

I'm about 45-50% done with my prep work, so hopefully I still have a little more time to think things over.

Grey Metallic (167). Either aluminum wheels or matching colored wheels make it stand out even more.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1770161 said:
No such thing as a clean black car in Texas :rofl:
x2 for Wyoming, gotta love the desert huh?

#04;1770531 said:
sounds like you need someone to convince you to choose black, there are a lot of nice pearl over black options....

and since your car s not a numbers car (which always make me laugh), do what will make you happier each morning you come out to it...

I mean, I have a buddy with a sweet 87 LS/SS-delete Monte Carlo, and I ask him is it your car, or the next owners... enjoy it now.,..
I've heard a similar saying about not doing fun things with a girlfriend to preserve her for the next guy. :p

That said, I've also heard 'black if you're buying/keeping, white if you're selling' for the very reason of defects in the body.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
te72;1770995 said:
x2 for Wyoming, gotta love the desert huh?

I've heard a similar saying about not doing fun things with a girlfriend to preserve her for the next guy. :p

That said, I've also heard 'black if you're buying/keeping, white if you're selling' for the very reason of defects in the body.

That's a interesting way of putting it, I'm not positive the saying would hold up well for the MK3 Supra though. If I were to sell, which I'm not really concerned about, one would think a well managed/taken care paint in recently repainted black (or another clean color) would pull the most. Especially if the carpet matched the drapes so to speak (engine compartment, trunk, door/hatch jams). By the way, just worth noting that I won't be painting the engine bay anytime in the near future color change or not. The only way I'd get around to it if I had to pull the motor anyway. Even if I wanted a color other than Red (black being an exception) e.g I were to paint a white pearl or WR Subaru Blue someone would open up the engine bay and be like wtf..

I don't know who is stock piling all the 202, 204, 206 Black MKIII's but it's hard to find a decent looking one. More than likely I'd find Super White or Red, and maybe Burgundy or Navy. Odds are, if working in a limited milage radius searching for a MKIII in my area I may also be stuck choosing for even less desirable color like one of the two tones (no offense to any 2 tone lovers).

Btw, the most popular cars are pretty bland shades of Silver, Gray, or Charcoal w/ metalic or pearl flake added. White and Black also seem like the other popular colors... I guess muted colors are just another part of the recession.

My car is almost now completely bare metal on all the panels that aren't being removed. Looks like it might be time soon to go ahead and call up my paint supply store.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you ever cruise through Kuwait city metro area, you will see more white Cressidas that you though existed. I know I didn't think they sold that many.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
@pi: Interesting that silver is so popular globally. Silver is the second worst colour for fading, right after red. I knew that white was most popular in North America (though I never understood why.)

For me, I know that if my Supra ever has another owner after me, it'll be as a parts donor, or destined for the crusher. I'm going to keep driving it until it can't drive anymore, so there's zero point in considering what anyone else might want of it. Though I've owned cars that I would (And did) resell, I never take resale as any part of my decision process per se. I will at least try to keep things maintainable, so I don't go hacking up wiring harnesses, and jury rigging things. I figure that if I'm the one that has to maintain things later, then it really should be done right, so that I can do so. So if I ever do decide to sell a car that I've owned, you can at least count on not having to debug major electrical issues with a wiring harness that doesn't match any diagram on the face of the planet. :D Still, when it comes time to paint, I'm going to paint it the colour that I want, even if nobody else on the face of the planet would want it that colour.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you're looking at black, check out a 2007 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3. The paint is very black in dim light, but in sunlight it has a nice blue and silver mica in it. That's what my 07' speed3 is.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SupraMedical68;1771426 said:
Btw, the most popular cars are pretty bland shades of Silver, Gray, or Charcoal w/ metalic or pearl flake added. White and Black also seem like the other popular colors... I guess muted colors are just another part of the recession.

Considering that there are (as of my count this very morning) 17 (19?) WHITE vehicles parked on the street I live on, which isn't even that long, and this was just a count from my limited view of my master bedroom... I would NEVER own another white vehicle. Especially in an area where snow is so common, white seems like a stupid idea. If you ever ended up off the road in trouble somehow, you might never be found again.

That said, while there is a certain desire to 'stand out', one need not stand out too much, unless you like less than desirable attention, i.e. thieves, cops, etc...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You have to remember that the new paints today are a different compound. The paint I am using on my car wont suffer from the fade issues. They are more environmentally friendly and far more colorfast than "back in the day". You can actually get away with painting the parts and then painting the car.. a few years back.. no way that could be done without a mismatch. Also far better for repairs later on.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Grandavi;1771879 said:
You have to remember that the new paints today are a different compound. The paint I am using on my car wont suffer from the fade issues. They are more environmentally friendly and far more colorfast than "back in the day". You can actually get away with painting the parts and then painting the car.. a few years back.. no way that could be done without a mismatch. Also far better for repairs later on.

Still depends on the paints. Good example is any metallic paint WILL show if it's not sprayed at the same time as the metal particles settle. Cheap paint won't last long (as the clear on my car peeling off the front that was resprayed at one point proves)

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Dan_Gyoba;1771566 said:
@pi: Interesting that silver is so popular globally. Silver is the second worst colour for fading, right after red. I knew that white was most popular in North America (though I never understood why.)

For me, I know that if my Supra ever has another owner after me, it'll be as a parts donor, or destined for the crusher. I'm going to keep driving it until it can't drive anymore, so there's zero point in considering what anyone else might want of it. Though I've owned cars that I would (And did) resell, I never take resale as any part of my decision process per se. I will at least try to keep things maintainable, so I don't go hacking up wiring harnesses, and jury rigging things. I figure that if I'm the one that has to maintain things later, then it really should be done right, so that I can do so. So if I ever do decide to sell a car that I've owned, you can at least count on not having to debug major electrical issues with a wiring harness that doesn't match any diagram on the face of the planet. :D Still, when it comes time to paint, I'm going to paint it the colour that I want, even if nobody else on the face of the planet would want it that colour.

The reason why silver is so popular is that silver is the new "white".

What I mean is the automotive companies decided to switch their baseline "vanilla" color with something much more attractive than white, since white was so easy to dirty up. Since the chromatic colors (red, green, blue, yellow, etc...) are only popular with certain people, they chose silver as a more neutral color that wasn't as easy to soil as white. This was explained to me by several dealerships like Jeep, Saturn, Kia, Toyota, and others. The easiest way to verify this is to go to a car dealership and look at their least expensive models of the current year. It's a good bet that a large percentage of them will be silver, not white or some other color.

Interesting stuff to say the least.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
All paints (and plastics) fail with enough cumulative exposure to UV. You can reduce but never eliminate this problem. UV photons are like little bombs, they whack into your paint and release a blast of energy (hv) that slowly but surely destroys the polymers in the paint.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
3p141592654;1772162 said:
All paints (and plastics) fail with enough cumulative exposure to UV. You can reduce but never eliminate this problem. UV photons are like little bombs, they whack into your paint and release a blast of energy (hv) that slowly but surely destroys the polymers in the paint.

Stupid sunlight... gives us cancer, fades paint, makes interiors of cars hot on already hot days...

Then again it'd be hard to live in the dark as a species too, so... it's a trade off. Frankly, I'm impressed by how long the pain on my 88 lasted. With the exception of the bumpers, the paint was pretty much immaculate, 18 years later.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Dan_Gyoba;1771566 said:

Interesting, I never thought of silver as a color that's quick to fade (if talking stock OEM properly applied paint), it always seems red and black is the first to go. The only thing I hate about black is, when the paint starts to age on cars it looks like crap (there is really no in between). Seems so hard to maintain...

Anyway, wouldn't silver be right behind white in terms of longevity?