Error code 31 on JDM Swap 2jz

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
Error code 31 is a MAF issue on the tsrm, but I read elsewhere that for JDM swaps that it is related to the MAP sensor. But from there on i don't know how to exactly to find out what the problem is. It just popped up the code one day as soon as I started the car. I even reset the ECU to check to make sure it wasn't a random code, sure enough it came back on and my idle is nasty. Where do I go from here? Can i use a volt meter to test it's resistance, power, and whatnot?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1 wire should have have 5v, 1 will have ground, and another should have a 0-5v signal.-At idle should be around 1v or less iirc

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
So i started testing the wires. I used the test light to test for ground, and it was a lot fainter than when you put the test light on the positive terminal, but it's there and seems to be working. The center wire that was suppose to be 5 volts is only 2.8, and if i blow or suck on the hose, it changes slightly. I never tested the left one, but i can if you need me to. Does this mean my MAP sensor is broken?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
red wire is going to be 5v with key on. yellow wire will be signal which will be between 0-5v and yes it will changes if you suck or blow. brown wire will be ground.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
In the on Position the middle wire showed 2.8 volts. The ground works. And I haven't tested the left wire. I will when I get home.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
Any idea where those ground are? It just runs into the harness. I'm totally lost in all this. I forgot to say thanks, you also helped me out in the other thread.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
It's mounted onto the intake manifold now, did you mean to tell me to cut the ground wire going to the ECU, and remounting into the intake manifold to create a new ground?

NetWx96.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No there should be ground bolted to the intake manifold. If there not they need to be. Dont cut them.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would check over the harness and manifold down in there then. Iirc there is 2 seperate eyelets that have about 4 brown wires each grounded to the itnake manifold.

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
If its reading 2.8v thats what its supposed to read on KOEO so it sounds like your wiring is good. Next i would hook up a vacuum pump on the sensor nipple and see if it holds vacuum, if not sensor bad. Also it could be a fault in the ecu. My 2jzgte aristo was throwing the same code as well and all my other things checked out fine until i finally decided to swap ecu's which remedied the problem.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
Well, I appear to be the biggest idiot ever. After popping open the ecu, finding the all the ground points, and everything else i tried. The problem was with my AVCR messing up, I redid the wiring and reset the settings and everything works, no more codes. Thanks for the help guys.