eraezer - Supra MK3 -89 -Swedish Build

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
-:|Update - 2010-03-13|:-

I'm now done with the reinforcement beams and the spare wheel holder :)
The beams needs some cleaning but that will have to wait till it's time to do a final
cleaning sweep of the whole undercarriage before paint.

Pictures:

Completed with reinforcements welds on the passenger side
30632438.jpg

Another overview of the inside of my supra
30632439.jpg

Completed with reinforcements welds on the driver side
30632440.jpg

Checked of some more things on my check list
30632441.jpg

Another overview of the spare wheel holder which is supposed to be done now
30632442.jpg

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
-:|Update - 2010-03-14|:-

Now it's time to start on the small details, like how to fasten the rear bumper and trims.
It took some time to dig out all the fasteners that I needed (I didn't sort everything in small
bags in the beginning). Then I looked through my box of rusty metal that I have replaced or removed
to get something to get me going on how to the design the outer edge which I'm bolting the bumper to.
I'm not re-using the stock fasteners, I'm either using self taping screws or screws and nuts with
proper rust protecting.

Pictures:

Time to start with the rear bumper :)
30632449.jpg

30632450.jpg

Some of the rusty parts I had to dig out
30632451.jpg

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
-:|Update - 2010-03-19|:-

Today I added the trim and started on an outer edge on the right side.

Pictures:

Right side with a beginning of an outer edge
30632459.jpg

Left side without any metal
30632460.jpg

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
All out restoration huh! Ah, good ol' Euro MKIIIs, look just like the ones in Spain. In Spain they also do alot this kind of restoration work too

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
OfnaRcR4;1537617 said:
Keeps it up!:)

supra90turbo;1537625 said:
Looks incredible! Nice work thus far :bigthumb:

Grimsta;1537651 said:
All out restoration huh! Ah, good ol' Euro MKIIIs, look just like the ones in Spain. In Spain they also do alot this kind of restoration work too

Thank you guys :) It's always nice with some comments :)
I'm not far away from paint so I'm already daydreaming about the first start-up :p

The new forum system doesn't allow me to post new updates in separate posts as quickly as I want to so there are some updates waiting to be posted. Does anyone know of a workaround?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
-:|Update - 2010-03-21|:-

Added metal to the left side and removed the bumper.
I focused on the left side and welded everything. Some grinding is required.

Pictures:

Heres what the right side looks like with the bumper removed
30658081.jpg

Did a bit more on the left side
30658082.jpg

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
-:|Update - 2010-03-22|:-

Two more things completed, the edges need to attach the bumper and trim.
I think I will remove the folded edge where there is no trim to get some more clearense.

Pictures:

Completed edge on the right side
30658084.jpg

and on the left side
30658085.jpg

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
darkfox404;1537833 said:
That lip is going to be really tough IMO. GOOD LUCK! I love your build been following it forever! So impressed. I'm suprised you aren't doing a ton of mods like higher wheel wells or shaving. You're going for rust free stock look?

Thank you very much :) and as you can see, I'm already done with that lip (if we are thinking about the same one).

hmm, higher wheel wells might be a good idea :p is there any need for that? besides when slamming it? which I'm not doing since this will be a street/track car.
What kind of shaving are you talking about? I haven't painted it yet so there is still room for new ideas so please tell me your ideas!!!! :p
First prio is to get rid of all the rust and rebuild the damages it has caused. I have so far done 3 mods; spare wheel holder into battery tray, reinforcements welds and welded some drain holes shut.

So again please tell me your ideas! and if someone else has any, please tell me those also! :)

Some other mods are: alu. subframe bushings, reinforcing the rear subframe...

Kai;1538035 said:
Most Mk3's here are in such poor shape due to the salted, gritted roads for 3 months of the year...it's like shotblasting the car while you drive it. The rear arches also have no kind of arch liner for protection either.
I know and atleast here they are saving money by using crushed stones instead of sand to use on the roads during winter. I'm not driving either of my project cars during the winter.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
-:|Update - 2010-03-23|:-

The idea was to start on the front of the rear wheelhouses and make edged to fasten the
trim to but I ran into a problem.
I had rebuilt the front of the left wheelhouse wrong so there is a 1cm gap between
the trim and body. Nothing else to do but to start cutting it open.
It looks better now but I need to add a little more metal to finish it.

Pictures:

My misstake
30658087.jpg

30658088.jpg

30658086.jpg

Nothing else to do than to start cutting it open...again
30658090.jpg

It's getting better
30658089.jpg

Good enough for today
30658091.jpg

30658092.jpg

told you it would be tough!! even more luck to you! still looking good.

When said shave i mean like Kalos' supra http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh....Body-work-is-finished!&highlight=clean+shave

I'm currently shaving my moldings with bondo and it's coming out good. I wish I knew how to weld! I definitely have to learn.

Raising the wheel well lip would make it look a lot cleaner if it was slammed. I hate when it's slammed and a quarter of the tire is in the well.. not great benefits compared to the ammount of work you would have to do.. but my reference is how the mk4 super gt supra looks like.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
darkfox404;1538152 said:
told you it would be tough!! even more luck to you! still looking good.

When said shave i mean like Kalos' supra http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh....Body-work-is-finished!&highlight=clean+shave

I'm currently shaving my moldings with bondo and it's coming out good. I wish I knew how to weld! I definitely have to learn.

Raising the wheel well lip would make it look a lot cleaner if it was slammed. I hate when it's slammed and a quarter of the tire is in the well.. not great benefits compared to the ammount of work you would have to do.. but my reference is how the mk4 super gt supra looks like.

OK, well I'm not much for that kind of shave. I'm just shaving the rubber strip on the molding. I don't think just using bondo is a good idea for a complete shave since you will need to use a lot (never a good idea) and it will also sink...

When my car is on the street again I have something to evaluate. Then I will be able to see if I really need to raise the wheel wells. My supra will go under the knife again for engine work and some other stuff so I will have a second chance where I can do some body work to.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I know that some of you are expecting updates around now but I'm afraid I don't have any :(
I got stranded in the daily (volvo 850 SE -95) on friday when I was picking up my girlfriend. After an hour and calling a friend over we noticed something wrong with the ign. coil it was giving out the spark to the bracket it was mounted with. A car parts store nearby wanted 1540SEK for a new one! :S Just because the ign. module was included.
My dad was kind and picked up a universal ign. coil while he was making some errands on the other side of the city (the store was Biltema, only place to get universal parts) and the price....200SEK.
He also picked up a new distributor cap and rotor which has not been changed for about 10 years! :S I didnt know that.
Then it took almost all of my time during sunday to modify the stock ign. coil bracket to fit the new one and I had to lend an ign. lead from my turbo mazda to the volvo.
But the daily is now working better then ever :) I can now feel the car acc. when I open the throttle ;) So hopefully I'm getting better mileage now = more money towards my fun cars :)
So next weekend will be dedicated to my supra...hopefully, since it's easter.
Easter break next week at least, so expect updates soon.
Stay tuned!

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
I'm in the final stretch before paint but I would like some answers before I paint it.

First of all, is there anything weird about what I have done with the body?

Battery tray; Is the fastening option that I have chosen enough? Will this be street legal? Will I be able to go to a track with this car?

Thanks in advance!

MA70AEROTOP

Sep 24, 2008
Perth
make sure you treat the weld from behind with something like, fishoil, cavatie wax, por15 etc or else all your time is wasted! make sure welds have fully penetrated!