engine under-cover needed?

MA70L-BJMVZA

Dec 8, 2010
Virginia
Is the plastic engine under-cover needed, or even useful? Mine broke apart around screw holes, specifically the area between the front bumper and the radiator support, and road rash finished it off. It looks like the cover's job is to force air that enters the grill to pass through the IC/ac condenser/radiator path instead of just exiting immediately under the car.

Cheapest I can find the part is $150 from Toyota. Obviously I don't want to waste the money. Plenty of other parts I can buy instead.

I tried the search function, but had no luck. I apologize if this has been addressed in another post.

I'm new to SM, but have lurked for a long time. SM saved me a lot of grief when I experienced my first BHG at 160k miles about a month ago. Repairs went smoothly, thanks to you guys.

ul

91 stock 7mgte/5 spd

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
it helps more with directing airflow to the engine and its cooling systems (intercooler if turbo as well) instead of just flying all over the place, think of it as a fan that has a tunnel directed to you, feels a lot stronger right? as well as keeping dirt and water from flying up into the engine compartment and engine to keep it clean from any road dirt or grime. I never really thought it was helpful, but now that i have removed mine i kinda do miss it. :(

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
My lack of one cost me a lot of money. A stray rock kicked up by someones tire bounced up from under there and caught the fan and destroyed it. The disintegrating fan blade proceeded to send shrapnel through the fan shroud, a radiator hose, and radiator, destroying all of them. And it nearly got sent through the hood putting several dents in it and destroying the fresh paint. The fan, fan shroud, radiator, and upper radiator hose were all new. and all had to be replaced again, and I had to paint a new hood. It was a freak accident but it does illustrate the potential of what can happen without an undercover.

MA70L-BJMVZA

Dec 8, 2010
Virginia
Good info guys. Guess I'll be placing an order for a replacement.

Dirgle, sounds like we have the same luck. I was cruising up I-95, when a truck throws a 6 foot long tire tread ("road gator") right at my mk3. It hit the right side of the bumper, drags over the hood and fender, tears off the mirror and folds the antenna rod. To complete the damage, my super white paint had long black streaks and deep scratches from bumper to bumper.

What were the odds?

ul

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I just put my new one on my car.... cleaned the engine bay again before driving and came back opened the hood and i was in aw how clean it still was :D.... Temps couldn't tell a diff as it was 30 degree's out... i'll see in the summer

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You could try putting big washers on the bolts ro ghetto rigging it somehow if you still have it. I think its like 100-150 new or something like that.

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
Never had one on my '91 Turbo. Been driven at over 100 degrees and city driving...never had a problem without it. I find it easier to find leaks with the cover removed also.

cwd

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I dont have one either wish i did tho. Done over 100* driving a lot. Prolly would drop the temps a couple degrees with better directed airflow.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Buy a new one. Period.

It kills me that so many people would even contemplate buying aftermarket parts for s car that isn't even up to stock Toyota standards.

It's not a civic, its a luxury sports car. Get it up to stock standards.

I bought a brand new one for my 90. Best 150 bucks I've spent on the car.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I wouldn't keep it on my car unless I simplified the way of removing it.. unless I'm just remembering it being more of a pain in the ass than it actually was (mine was on there for 20 some odd years after all).

It's understandable that one wouldn't be taking it off all the time, but I like being able to see and access everything under there, so I never bought another one.

That aside, I'd recommend buying another to anyone else.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
on my 87, during a road trip, i had a rock come up and hit the fan as well, then the fan blade took out the fan shroud. found a toyota stealer 300 miles from home and had to wait in a hotel over night for them to order a fan blade and shroud, oh plus labor. set me back about $400, kinda ruined the trip after that, lol.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I drove 2 years without it no problem simply because it never came with the chassis' that i purchased. BUT, i now have one and use it with my newest chassis because:

-It offers protection
-Keeps things much cleaner
-Improves cooling
-Improves gas mileage, in some cases significantly

So why not?