engine swap from '84 to '91

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
hey guys i was wondering if i could swap engine/tranny from a '84 into a '91 turbo. i would like to stay 7mgte, however, i don't think the 84 is 7mgte. :1zhelp:
the 84 is manaul & the 91 is auto. therefore, it would be a engine/tranny swap since i want to go manual on the 91. would this work?
i want to say no, but some expert advice would be appreciated.
thanks

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
Now why whould you do that...? An 84 come with a 5M..I would not recomend doing that, its a waste of time and the engine might be a little under-powered for the larger 91 body. That's like taking a 4AGE and putting it in a Tundra. Well if you decide to go forward with it goodluck. But that's a waste. I thought you were selling the car anyways. Just go 1J or 2J or even slap a 7MGTE manual conversion since your engine in broken. but yea...the 5m is a no go...Don't do it

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
that's what i thought... & i'm still trying to sell the car. However, it would sell for alot more if it was running. & i'm also still debating if i want to let the supra go. i know i'll eventually regret it, but right now i don't have the money for a new engine, especially not a 1j or 2j. if i could, i would most definately go that route. but i'm low on both cash & time and i need a car asap. so if i can find someone to get the car off my hands the way it is for at least $2500 i would do it in a heartbeart.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you can do it, a guy on here has done it..

it's not like putting a 4AG into a tundra, it's like putting a 1J in a MKIV..

The 84 engine came with a W58 tranny which is what MKIII N/A's and MKIV N/A's use, but it's almost certain not to fit...

honestly, it's easier and cheaper to just swap in a JDM 7M...

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
RazoE;1561483 said:
you can do it, a guy on here has done it..

it's not like putting a 4AG into a tundra, it's like putting a 1J in a MKIV..

The 84 engine came with a W58 tranny which is what MKIII N/A's and MKIV N/A's use, but it's almost certain not to fit...

honestly, it's easier and cheaper to just swap in a JDM 7M...

The reason i told him that, was of the weight of the car and how small the engine would be. I think he should go 1J or 2J, but since funds are an issue his best bet is to get another 7m and go with it for now.

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
I was...but i found 2 already...got 2 92 locally for under $1500, like i wanted. Both Sunroof & both Turbo 5-speed. But thanks anyways. I let people know locally who might be interested,And i'll point them in you direction. Can me if you want, you have my number..

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
Nah..not a fan of the 7M...always love the 1J & 2J, next best thing to my RBs. But yeah got both cars were bought locally here in Miami.... And I should be picking up a shell this week when i get back home which i'll keep for myself. The other 2 I'm going to sell....when i inplant a 1J ofcourse.

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
alright, that would be nice thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Nippon-teku;1562287 said:
I was...but i found 2 already...got 2 92 locally for under $1500, like i wanted. Both Sunroof & both Turbo 5-speed. But thanks anyways. I let people know locally who might be interested,And i'll point them in you direction. Can me if you want, you have my number..

that would be nice, thanks.