Engine support missing?

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
So I saw this picture that belongs to someone else on the forums:

IMG_5139a.JPG

Now on my car, that brace that connects the intake manifold to the engine mount is missing. The previous owner must've removed it and not put it back. I know he removed lots of things for weight reduction but this doesn't make much sense to me. Would this damage anything? I'm assuming I should put that sucker back on. I've already replaced the intake manifold gasket which had a leak on it.

Now also in that picture I'm refering to that little polished block off plate. My car doesn't have anything plugged in there. What is that for and should it be left open or blocked off?

Thanks in advance for any help, the mods the previous owner underwent just amaze me...

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
The brace is to help alleviate stress caused by the weight of the intake manifold, you should have one on the turbo side too I believe. That little block off plate blocks off the J-Tube, which is a restrictive hardline in the fuel system. Many people bypass it, it's considered an upgrade ;)

Mike

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Ok cool, I'll source that engine brace out.

Now for the fuel line, Is it necessary to block it off with a plate? Also are there any cons assosiated with removing the J-tube? Such as higher fuel pressure? My fuel system is all stock. My car is idleing high and won't drop down, is this a possibly building up high fuel pressure?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Are you saying the J-tube isn't there or connected to the fuel system, yet there is no block-off plate? I'm confused.

If it is there and has the fuel lines connected; leave it. It is not a restriction if you aren't upgrading your fuel system. The purpose of the J-tube is as a fail-safe to keep enough pressure in the system to limp home in case the fuel pump fails.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Yeah, there's no tube going into that port, yet there is no block-off plate either. I see that doesn't make sense now, I'll check that when I get home. Maybe I'm looking at a different port. When I removed my intake manifold I remember looking at a port and wondering what should plug into it. I'll double check.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i hate to say it but you really don't need that brace it just way toyota is for over building stuff that just not needed same with the turbo side and power streeing pump braket tooo

plus makes working on stuff a lot easier

but that is just me

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Ok wait I was thinking of the wrong port:

p1620732_1.jpg

From this picture what is that rounded square port that is on the block there for? The one directly overtop of the engine mount. Should something be plugged into that?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nah Toyota put all these unneeded parts on the car just to make it hard to work on.... :nono: <sarc>

ALL of the braces are there for a reason, sure the car might run without them but why not put them back on.

OMS: The one with 2 bolt holes?
If so on NA's they bolt the vacc reservoir there on GTE's it's unused.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Ah gotcha so it's just a mounting point for that resevoir. I just wanted to make sure it didn't lead to someone because my car has been leaking fuel and coolant and it was getting into those holes. My bad mistaking it with the J-Tube.

As for that brace, I agree it be okay for some time but over time the extra stress on where the intake connects to itself and the head couldn't be good. Fatigue over time might cause a leak in the gasket. Also it probably wouldn't be good to lean on that intake manifold while doing repairs without that brace on. Aluminum is a pretty soft metal, might damage the head over time, just my thoughts...

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
oldmansupra;1620798 said:
over time the extra stress on where the intake connects to itself and the head couldn't be good. Fatigue over time might cause a leak in the gasket. Also it probably wouldn't be good to lean on that intake manifold while doing repairs without that brace on. Aluminum is a pretty soft metal, might damage the head over time, just my thoughts...

Bingo!

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Dirgle;1620717 said:
Just a quick correction, it's if the fuel pressure regulator fails.

I stand corrected.

On a side note, I'd try to retain all factory bracing if you can. I know personally I was able to keep the intake manifold brace and the lower exhaust manifold brace. However, with my aftermarket turbo and blanket, there's nowhere to connect either the upper or lower turbo supports. I won't be surprised when my factory exhaust manifold begins to crack :(

I just can't bring myself to start cutting holes into the blanket.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
MarkIII4Me;1620808 said:
I stand corrected.

On a side note, I'd try to retain all factory bracing if you can. I know personally I was able to keep the intake manifold brace and the lower exhaust manifold brace. However, with my aftermarket turbo and blanket, there's nowhere to connect either the upper or lower turbo supports. I won't be surprised when my factory exhaust manifold begins to crack :(

I just can't bring myself to start cutting holes into the blanket.

I run aftermarket intake and exhaust manifolds. I'm very close to fabbing up a turbo stay and a brace for the intake as well. The head is just so soft, I really don't want to heli-coil the intake side.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
the only thing i would put a brace is on after maket trubo on a tublure manfold to prevent manfold from cracking

the 5m intake did not have brace far as can remmber and many other toyota motors and other car companies

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
oldmansupra;1620798 said:
Ah gotcha so it's just a mounting point for that resevoir. I just wanted to make sure it didn't lead to someone because my car has been leaking fuel and coolant and it was getting into those holes. My bad mistaking it with the J-Tube.

As for that brace, I agree it be okay for some time but over time the extra stress on where the intake connects to itself and the head couldn't be good. Fatigue over time might cause a leak in the gasket. Also it probably wouldn't be good to lean on that intake manifold while doing repairs without that brace on. Aluminum is a pretty soft metal, might damage the head over time, just my thoughts...
I build my cars to last longer than 8 days at a time so I think it's a good idea to use them ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
NashMan;1620727 said:
i hate to say it but you really don't need that brace it just way toyota is for over building stuff that just not needed same with the turbo side and power streeing pump braket tooo

plus makes working on stuff a lot easier

but that is just me

Turbo side needs the braces unless you like pulling the studs out of the head and like retorquing all the fasteners on that side of the engine. Oh, and BULLSHIT to the brace not being needed on the power steering pump. If it's loose or missing the belt will flip over or be flung (don't argue with me on this, I know from experience).

This is my only warning about posting wrong info in the tech section.