engine stripped down, screws not organized what have i gotten myself into

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
hello, i am doing a n/a to t swap

i pulled my engine with tranny out perfectly and set my engine aside for awhile

my stepdad wanted to help and he wouldnt stop bugging me about letting him help so i finally told him to strip down my ge so i can swap over the interchangeable parts

i go upstairs and take a nap (night shift ugghh) and when i come back down he seemed to be doing a good job making progress quickly

i finally noticed when just about everything except for the head and fuel pump was taken off that he had a big bucket that he was tossing the screws into without organizing them

its mainly my fault for not telling him to properly organize the screws. i looked in the bucket and was immediately overwhelmed, i dont know what to do, ive been stressing about this for a few days and i finally decided to ask for some advice

right now its definately impossible for me to pick the right pieces out and match them correctly without some assistance

thanks for any help given
sparkplug

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
lol your the best ij... ill try to take it over a friends house and send it to the scrap yard afterwards and give him the money or something

o honestly never thought of just matching the bolts with another engines bolts, how dumb of me

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
By the third rebuild I did this. You need to lay them out and organize. The oil pan are all short, exhaust is rusty as hell etc.

Sounds like a good stepfather/son project.

You're gonna run into problems with the front bolts, which I did. The parts page has a decent breakdown.

OH - don't let your step dad do any assembly onto the aluminum head without supervision and a torque wrench.

Here's the key to the front plate.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1106&P=1

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
thanks alot for the info, unfortunately its now only a son project, stepdad is getting 10 years tomorrow. smuggling

when you did this did you have any other methods or strategies of approaching this that i should know about?

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I had a bucket of the bolts.

The bellhousing bolts group- these have thick grease dirt in the bolt top-head.

short stubby oily pan bolts - look for the silicone leftover on them especially bottom of bolt

The shiny "7"'s (I believe) are intake manifold. They have clean head tops

Rusty bolts are on hot manifold.

rod and connector bolts- oily as all hell and brown

head bolts - the head isn't your typical hex top - more points

Motor mount bolts - oily and thick, the 2 huge nuts are for the motor mount too

Here's some tips

1 - eliminate all know ones above
2- count the holes to the bolts that are the same
3 - always try to go for the shortest bolt to do the trick, but you have to ensure that the bolt is long enough to use all the threads in the hole without busting through.
4- I assemble the front hand tight one time to make sure I didn't miss any.

Once I started making the pile of unknowns smaller it got easier.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Thanks for the really good tips, these are definately going to come in handy

I really apreciate all of the help
Sparkplug

Btw ill let you know how this all turns out

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
been in this situation but worse. Toyota's printouts were key for me. Go to them and ask them for diagram printings and all the bolts for the most part (at least the important ones) should be there for you to look at and pic out of the box.

88 Blue_Dragon

Wish i hadn't sold my sup
Dec 3, 2008
Beaverton, Or
that would have been nice to have when i was putting all my bolts on. its kinda hard to remember where what bolts go where after almost two years. good luck to ya. you're gonna need it

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
thats a damn nice link... also... rule of thub... almost all bolts should go in ruffly 1 and 1/2 times the thickness of the bolt... But with that link hell its simple now.. Print it out and sit dad down :}

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
If your a visual person, this may help also.

p1374812_1.jpg

p1374812_2.jpg

p1374812_3.jpg

p1374812_4.jpg

p1374812_5.jpg

p1374812_6.jpg

p1374812_7.jpg

p1374812_8.jpg

p1374812_9.jpg