ENGINE SEEMS TO RUN HOT! help!

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
I have a stock 91 turbo... When I start driving it cold its ok... But when it gets to a point where the temp suppose to be (like halfway) the fan is always engage and it robs a lot of horsepower from the engine... Please help... And it car does not overheat...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Sounds like its working correctly!

A running engine makes heat, and that heat is sent to radiator to be expelled. The fan draws air over radiator to vent the heat which keeps the engine cool. Don't worry about lost power when dealing with a clutch fan- its keeping your engine alive at the cost of maybe 10 horsies. Very well worth it imo.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Steve, 10 horses?

No, it is maybe like 2 or 3. I have no clue why people think a fan clutch robs power.

I am angry, and this is not a joke, that all new BMW's, 2008 and newer come with no fan clutch, all are electric. I just like the thought of a fan always working rather than it not turning on. :-/

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
toyotanos;1750126 said:
Sounds like its working correctly!

A running engine makes heat, and that heat is sent to radiator to be expelled. The fan draws air over radiator to vent the heat which keeps the engine cool. Don't worry about lost power when dealing with a clutch fan- its keeping your engine alive at the cost of maybe 10 horsies. Very well worth it imo.

I had an 89 turbo before and it does not stay on every time. My 89 turns on for like a few 2 min and fan clutch disengage. My 91 is engaged the whole time even at idle The way it runs feels like the AC is on but its not. The car just feels sluggish... Thanks for the input...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
It might be that the 89 has a worn-out clutch. I'd start by checking for codes in the ECU to see if its pulling timing/adding fuel/whatever. Start with the basics and leave the fan be. Hot 7M = unhappy engine. :)