Engine removal hassle

Boostnewb

Jan 20, 2010
Hawaii
So im trying to yank out the old 7m but it refuses to separate from the tranny. The car is on jack stands, tranny is held up by a floor jack, and i got the engine in the air about 1inch separated. Using a crowbar, i got it to where the flywheel was just out of the bell housing. Is there something im doing wrong? I followed all the TSRM and the Haynes repair manual so im stuck.

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Did you remove the bolts from the pressure plate? Or Torque Converter? They must come out. I believe the Haynes manual fails to mention that.

PS.......Throw that Haynes manual in the garbage! Search on here for Cygnus, and you should be able to find a link to the TSRM online in one of the posts that it pulls up. Bookmark that site for all future needs.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^pp not flywheel.

Would be better to remove the pp that way you don't have to pull the trans back as far and you have more clearance for sliding the motor out.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
The easiest way to access the pressure plate is through the hole where the slave cylinder goes. Remove the slave, and turn the motor with a ratchet at the crank pulley bolt. You'll want to remove them just like taking a wheel off of the car, not bolt by bolt as it comes around.

PS....To edit your thread title, double click on the edit tab of the original post in the thread.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
ForcedTorque;1644069 said:
The easiest way to access the pressure plate is through the hole where the slave cylinder goes. Remove the slave, and turn the motor with a ratchet at the crank pulley bolt. You'll want to remove them just like taking a wheel off of the car, not bolt by bolt as it comes around.

PS....To edit your thread title, double click on the edit tab of the original post in the thread.

?? Why not use the access plates that where designed for that purpose, not trying to start an argument, but not sure how the slave cylinder hole is easier. Also just to clarify, the meaning of not removing bolt by bolt as it comes around - there is a pattern per the TRSM, use a sharpie and do two things (depends what you are going to do with clutch - replace or re-use) but mark the position that the pressure plate is on the flywheel and then number the bolts per the TRSM sequence, then just remove them in the opposite order that they are to be torqued down in...

2nd item - just in case you decide or plan to pull the tranny also, when you put them back in, put them (motor/tranny) in together is my advise, but still follow the TRSM to attach tranny to motor and do not try to do the typical alignment tool process as you maybe used to with a typical clutch setup.

Good luck on your venture!

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
ForcedTorque;1644172 said:
Slave Cylinder hole is a straight shot, and with an extension, gets your hands away from working in the small area through the access panels. It just saves the knuckles a bit.

OK, yeah I see your point, never tried it, it seemed as though it would be a bigger pain... I will have to try that the next time... as we all know if you put enough miles on your Supra, there is always a next time for about everything ;)

Oh and off topic, ForcedTorque - I love your signature statement :icon_bigg