Engine Rebuild What CAM Shafts Should I Use

Strider

Jun 29, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Hi guys, my Turbo-A is in the shop got wind of the fact that my head is warped and the people who rebuilt it before I bought the car put the caps on the wrong sides and now the journals are worn and the cam shafts are fracked.

I'm in Perth Western Australia, gonna make some calls tomorrow.

Anyone know who makes Stage 2 or even 3 Cam shaft and valve spring kits.

I've found out a company called BC does, also HKS came to mind.

Any input from people who have upgraded cams on 7M-GTEs would be fantastic, money is no object now because I'm in for big bucks no matter what.

2_TonedMKIII

Rarety
Jul 28, 2006
Orlando, Fl
Please don't do HKS I've seen nothing good with their cams. A. they're hollow B. there to expensive. A friend of mines shop broke an HKS cam installing it in an RB25 to correct torque specs and in the right order being very carefull not to warp it. The same shop now swears by BC.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
2_TonedMKIII;1074457 said:
Please don't do HKS I've seen nothing good with their cams. A. they're hollow B. there to expensive. A friend of mines shop broke an HKS cam installing it in an RB25 to correct torque specs and in the right order being very carefull not to warp it. The same shop now swears by BC.

You are aware that the stock cams are ALSO hollow right? How do you think oil lubrication gets to the bearings? ;)

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
figgie;1074463 said:
You are aware that the stock cams are ALSO hollow right? How do you think oil lubrication gets to the bearings? ;)

What cam bearings ;)

But like they said, custom billet cams should work in your favor if you expendable income isn't an issue.

Strider

Jun 29, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Seems I don't actually have the funds for custom cams and a new ECU.

I'm going to chuck in the old cams atm, the price keeps skyrocketing for this rebuild.

Theres nothing wrong with the lobes and before the head blew it ran smooth as silk.

If I can't find some second hand cam shafts its the only real option atm.

I cbf sinking in another 2-3 grand on top of the already sizeable cost of rebuild.

Strider

Jun 29, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Well the guy whos rebuilding the engine wont do any other ECU other than MoTec and they are like 4 grand or something.

I'm thinking about just putting in the old ones then going elsewhere later on down the track.

It will run with the old ones, just that the caps will wear down eventually.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
SevenMKIII;1074901 said:
What cam bearings ;)

But like they said, custom billet cams should work in your favor if you expendable income isn't an issue.

a bearing does not only mean a replaceable surface ;)

the bearings in the cam journals do recieve oil ;)

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
figgie;1075175 said:
a bearing does not only mean a replaceable surface ;)

the bearings in the cam journals do recieve oil ;)

oh shush :sarcasm:

To the OP, I have a set of stock cams if you need a pair. Please don't knowingly put damaged parts into an engine expecting them to fail eventually.

Strider

Jun 29, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Sall good found some stock cam shafts today.

Getting tested on Monday to see if they make the cut.

Apparently all the measurements are fine, turbo-a lobes are identical to standard 7m-gte lobes.

Just needs to go into a machine to test the rest of the variables.

Was in a bit of a panic before thats why I've been making weird decisions and plans haha. Forgive my craziness.

This build is finally looking up :)

I'll make a photo thread later of before and after in the engine bay, it should look pretty nice.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
You don't need a standalone ecu to use aftermarket upgraded cams, you only need one to make the most of your cams.