Engine Harness

Jacob25

Apr 18, 2012
Savanna Illinois
I have a 87 non-turbo car. im swapping in a 7M-GTE out of a 90 and i have a couple questions regarding the wiring harnesses.

1. Will the the stock dash harness work with the engine harness for the engine?

2. The dash harness is a yellow plug, and the engine harness is a grey plug. do i need to replace the dash harness or can i get a yellow plug engine harness? is everything the same besides the yellow or grey plugs to connect the engine harness to the dash harness?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
1. You'll need to use a TURBO harness from an 87-88 car, some early 89 might also work (auto - 5speed) plays a role in here too due to the fact that 90, 91, 92 use different body harness so it won't plug up to your body harness. Auto dominates, meaning you can use ECU + harness from an auto car on a 5spd car but not the other way around.

2. Getting a yellow plug harness is a lot easier in your case with a few exceptions. Since you have an 87 car like stated on top you would want to use 87-88 engine harness BUT your motor is an 90, some of the sensors on the motor will not plug up to your YELLOW plug harness, ie at the water neck.

It would be so much better if you had an engine + harness from an 87-88 then it would be plug and play, simple as that.