Engine Coolant Light

7MGTESUPRAMAN

Aug 8, 2005
Macon, GA
When I start my car in the morning I notice that the engine coolant light is on, but after I drive it for a while the light will go out. What do you guys think is the problem, BHG in first stages or what? When I had my 89 N/A that was the first sign I notice of the BHG but the engine coolant light stayed on instead of going out.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Mine was doing the same thing, but per the suggestion of one of the board members I added some fluids to the overflow bottle and it went away.

CPT Furious said:
First, the light for the radiator is located in the overflow bottle, so if that is slightly low it may only come on when you hit bumps and make turns. It probably just needs a little bit more in there.

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
1TuffSupra said:
Mine was doing the same thing, but per the suggestion of one of the board members I added some fluids to the overflow bottle and it went away.

same here, but when i added fluid to the over flow the light was still on !!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
punch the bottle. *dont break it though* the sensor float is probably just stuck to the bottom of the tank.

-shaeff

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
If it is on in the morning, the overflow bottle is probably low, then when the car warms up and the coolant expands it will push some of it to the bottle and therefore turn the light off because it raises the float switch. At night when the coolant cools back down again, it gets sucked back to the radiator and the overflow bottle gets low again and turns the light back on.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ which still means you're a bit low on coolant. :(

-shaeff