Engine breaking up severely. HELP

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
At idle, the car is fine. Between 2500-redline the engine breaks up and is super choppy. I've replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, cps, coil-packs, and reset the timing. I'n kinda out of solutions. Maybe fuel? Injectors clogged? Dirty fuel filter? Any help is appreciated

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Are you throwing any codes? One of mine did this when the knock sensors were bad. What are the plugs, and what are they gapped to?

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
Swap your MAF electronics with a good running car
Lower the gap of the plugs to .28
Take a picture of the spark plug electrode and post it please.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
i swapped the maf, cleaned the canister of the afm, ngk's gapped to .28 brand new. no luck. I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow. I'm thinking maybe my fuel pump is going out

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
did you you check the gap on the plugs with a tool or did you take the autoparts stores word on it?ive checked oreiley,autozone and pepboys,all of them claimed the plugs were capped at .32 but when i checked them they were all gapped .45 and they were listed on the computer as 7mgte turbo spark plugs.i checked all the brands they had available and none were gapped correctly.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
ok so here's everything I've tried so far

cps
afm
spark plugs
spark plug wires
ecu
o2 sensor
replaced the screw on the fuel dampner (it was missing)
coil packs

still sputtering. the copper plugs and magnacore wires gave it a few more hp but its still sputtering. What the hell am I missing? may fuel pump going out? fuel filter? clogged injector?