Engine bay clean up(what can I remove)

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
I have searched and searched, I've only come across removing the EGR and cruise control.. I'm in the middle of a head gasket change, not because it went bad, only because it's got 100k on the stocker and I just don't trust it.

But.. My question is, while I have all of this apart, what can I remove? What hoses can I re-route? It seems quite a few run into and around the intake manifold. It's so cluttered over there. I've also removed the TEMs control, what wiring from this can I remove?

Thanks!

I have an 87 7MGTE by the way

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
There's not a lot more you can remove, but you can reroute just about anything. Look into COP mod for the ignition coils. That really cleans up the engine bay. Aside from that you could move some electronics into the back of the bay, but you'll need to extend the wiring harness. If you do that you'll need to make sure you can wire VERY well. A couple iffy connections on the ignitor or fuel resistor would be a big pain in the ass.

Some people also hide the fuse box. Just keep in mind that can make troubleshooting and normal car work a big pain in the ass. In my mind the fuse box relocation is not worth it. YMMV.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
Thanks. I'll probably leave the EGR for now. I had the TEMS system in my car, besides the boxes on the top of the struts, what other wires can go with that? Theres two heat sink looking boxes on the strut towers, one on each side, what are these for?(sorry for the noob questions. I've been primarly a wrx/subaru owner)

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
The TEMS system has a couple switches near the gear shifter (called the TEMS controller), and there's the TEMS ECU which is in the passenger footwell stuck in the corner. There's a harness between the TEMS ECU and the dashboard (pretty sure), where it gets its speed signal and TPS signal.

There's the harnesses for each of the strut actuators as well. Not a whole lot of weight for the whole TEMS system.

With the stock ECU there's not a lot you can remove without negatively affecting something. But on the flipside, making decent power is easy.

And before you ask, weight reduction is a pain on these cars as well. Removing the spare tire, removing a/c, lightweight rims, one piece driveshaft...there's not much to remove and/or replace with lighter components.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
Yeah, I got rid of the switches already and replaced with the coin tray. I'm not looking so much for weight, but just cleaner looking, less wires and clutter.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
585Soup;2046840 said:
Yeah, I got rid of the switches already and replaced with the coin tray. I'm not looking so much for weight, but just cleaner looking, less wires and clutter.

If you relocate the power steering reservoir to the back corner, remove cruise control, use a JDM throttle assembly and relocate the fuel pump resistor and/or ignitor it goes a long ways to cleaning up the bay. It's a decent amount of extra wiring work though.

Fuse box relocation and battery in the back with a FFIM make for a real nice looking engine bay, but that's a big step beyond simple "clean up".

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
The JDM throttle asssembly interests me definitely. Is it just a new throttle body that I would be replacing basically? or cables too?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I just moved my engine bay fuse box to the front, so it can be hidden under the cooling panel and easily exposed to diagnose problems. It does take a lot of skill to do this properly, I have been rebuilding engine harnesses and developing my own skills for about 4 years doing wiring on many Supra.

I basically removed all connections from the engine harness (other than the starter wire) to the engine bay fuse box. But to do that, I had to add a fused circuit to emulate the power source for the EFI power, as well as extensively modify the engine harness to accept power and power control from an entirely different place in the vehicle. There was A LOT more to this than the simple explanation above could cover, but you get the gist.

This was the most labor intensive mod I have done, I documented every change, and developed wiring diagrams to keep everything in check. As suprarx7nut said, relocating the fuse box is really not worth it. If you wonder why I did, I needed room for my Vortech:naughty:

farristrey

Jan 1, 2015
Clermont, FL
The resolution on these picture aren't the best, but on mine I got rid of the cruise control actuator and the charcoal filter. I'll be getting rid of the injector resistor in the future too and I need to move my PS res. Just haven't done it yet. Hey chambers how did you put your pictures on there like that? I had to get the resolution down so I could post them.motor[3].jpg

farristrey

Jan 1, 2015
Clermont, FL
I meant to add, removing the charcoal filter to some is a no no. Others that have done it correctly say they have had no issues. I put a vacuum check valve on it under the car where I cut the line to the charcoal box so it can't sick air.