Engine attempting to overheat constantly

Lrv

Hey guys, i seem to be dealing with some issues after i did a N/A swap to a 7mgte. after getting my car's timing dialed in, i am now dealing with constant heating issues. the hottest its gotten was 250 degrees. idling is even making car warm up to red. i need some suggestions. thank you

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could be air in the system.

Also have you verified actual temp with a temp probe?

What was done to the gte before swapping it in?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
kdog1988;1983609 said:
Are you still using the factory cooling system and how long does it idle before it starts to overheat?

factory cooling system is more than adequate for the 7mgte from a n/a. a clean, stock radiator with an intact fan shroud and the 10 blade fan cools better than most aftermarket setups.

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
That's why I was asking I know the factory setup is more efficient. Just trying to get more info so we can try to help.

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
Burp the system properly.. research it, also like stated earlier check your Radiator cap.. if you really want to you should pull out your Thermostat.. I see NEW ones bad all the time... I normally get a 180* Thermostat.. and test it in hot water first.. I suggest taking that bad boy out and see if it even gets to operating temperature and test the Thermostat... Probably bad or opens up late... my guess..
Easy way to burp the system is to put the nose at a decent incline with a ramp or jack and run it at idle with the cap off and heat blasting for awhile..

My two cents

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Backlash2032;1983924 said:
Never had to burp my cooling system.... It does it on my own.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Only reason you'd need to burp it with jacking it up is if you've got the gurgling in the heater core from air bubbles trapped.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Last time I had a situation in my mk3 with intermittent over heating it was a bad Coolant temp sending unit whichever one goes to the gauge. Cant remember the exact name right now lol. Could possibly be that. Also, do you have an infared thermometer? If so when it gets hot shut the car off and imediately measure the temp right at the block where the thermostat hoisin is so you know if you're too hot or not.