emissions testing

i took my supra in to get tested, it passed most of everything but they are saying it failed the equipment inspection and the air injection system, what are these supposed to be and what could cause them to fail? btw, i had to have work done on the engine so its now a 3.0 instead of the 2.8 and i did most of the work myself, any chance i hooked something up wrong to get this result?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Hacki_sack_kid;1142148 said:
figgie;1142145 said:
Air injection?

Umm you sure you posted on the right sub-forum? 2.8 was the MKII not III :)[/QUOTE

2.8 was the rough estimate that the guy that worked on my block gave me for the actual size of the engine, he thinks that toyota came up with the extra .2 from the throttle body, said that chevy does it too.

say what?

the stock 7M-GE/GTE = 2994cc which = 2.994 L which round up = 3.0L :)

Last edited:
92TealSupra;1142156 said:
Uhm, seriously what are you saying? What year Supra do you have?

its a 1990 with the 7mgte, when i braught it in he told me the size was closer to 2.8 than it was to 3, when he was done with it he said it was officially a 3.0 anyway this is besides the point, what is the system they are talking about

figgie;1142192 said:
From 1986.5-1992. The MKIII supra did not have an air Injection system. No such thing was ever conceived for our cars.

ive been calling around and according to the official guide they use when the emissions sticker is missing they are supposed to have them, hopefully this will set things straight, the guy i spoke to said this might change what the book says, he also said since the a/c belt i removed wasn't replaced they may have thought the missing belt was for the air injection system. as for the guy that worked on my supra he said that the block itself was about a 2.8, and yes it is a third gen supra, he said toyota calling it a 3.0 is probably them adding the throttle body into the equasion, whether or not its true i don't know all i do know for sure is he had to bore out the cylenders 40 over cuz of rust from coolant.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
The missing belt can be one of two things.

One. A/C
Two Power Steering.

That is it. No air injection system.

Toyota called it a 3.0L because it was 6cc short of 3.0L (2994cc). 1000cc = 1.0L.

The guy that worked on it is WRONG on all accounts. At best it is a true 2.9L (2994)engine without any round ups.

The Official guide should be based on the Toyota TSRM and that clearly has no mention of any Air injection system in the EFI. He is wrong.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
For failing the equipment portion, aren't they required to tell you EXACTLY what piece you are missing? It seems outrageous that they can simply tell you that you are missing a mysterious piece. :dunno:

Are you sure they didn't specify FUEL injection? Maybe it was a mis-type by the technician. :dunno: air injection could be turbo, I suppose, but I've seen your motor and it looks perfectly stock. :dunno: Don't have an aftermarket BOV, do you?

Hacki_sack_kid;1142201 said:
as for the guy that worked on my supra he said that the block itself was about a 2.8, and yes it is a third gen supra, he said toyota calling it a 3.0 is probably them adding the throttle body into the equasion, whether or not its true i don't know all i do know for sure is he had to bore out the cylenders 40 over cuz of rust from coolant.

Get ready for some math:

Toyota factory spec: Bore = 83mm, Stroke = 91mm
Displacement = Bore area*Stroke = ((8.3cm/2)^2*pi * 9.1cm) * 6 cylinders = 2954.19ml = 2.954L :)

Now bored 40 over = 40/1000 in = 1.016mm = 0.1016cm larger than stock bore.
Displacement = ((8.3+0.1016cm)/2)^2*pi * 9.1cm * 6 cylinders = 3026.96ml = 3.027L

That's a difference of 3.027-2.954=0.072L which is far less than the 0.2L that the machinist claimed. To achieve a displacement increase of 0.2L, I'm damn near positive you'd have to bore to the point that the cylinders would be overlapping each other. Stock motor is 3.0 though, so again the machinist must be mistaken on how to calculate displacement or he can't measure for shit. ;) Both of which are scary...

Not sure how chevy would incorporate a throttle body into displacement, seeing as how displacement is the volume of air swept out by one full cycle of the engine...

suprarx7nut;1142235 said:
For failing the equipment portion, aren't they required to tell you EXACTLY what piece you are missing? It seems outrageous that they can simply tell you that you are missing a mysterious piece. :dunno:

Are you sure they didn't specify FUEL injection? Maybe it was a mis-type by the technician. :dunno: air injection could be turbo, I suppose, but I've seen your motor and it looks perfectly stock. :dunno: Don't have an aftermarket BOV, do you?

Get ready for some math:

Toyota factory spec: Bore = 83mm, Stroke = 91mm
Displacement = Bore area*Stroke = ((8.3cm/2)^2*pi * 9.1cm) * 6 cylinders = 2954.19ml = 2.954L :)

Now bored 40 over = 40/1000 in = 1.016mm = 0.1016cm larger than stock bore.
Displacement = ((8.3+0.1016cm)/2)^2*pi * 9.1cm * 6 cylinders = 3026.96ml = 3.027L

That's a difference of 3.027-2.954=0.072L which is far less than the 0.2L that the machinist claimed. To achieve a displacement increase of 0.2L, I'm damn near positive you'd have to bore to the point that the cylinders would be overlapping each other. Stock motor is 3.0 though, so again the machinist must be mistaken on how to calculate displacement or he can't measure for shit. ;) Both of which are scary...

Not sure how chevy would incorporate a throttle body into displacement, seeing as how displacement is the volume of air swept out by one full cycle of the engine...

ok that makes sence, and luckily he himself didn't do the work to the block so i think im still safe, especially since its runnin so smooth, i did some research on the air injection system, its a system that has a belt driven pump that injects fresh air into the exhaust manifold to make the cat work more efficiently or something, the problem that i had with the emissions place was my emissions sticker is missing so they used a book that tells them what to look for and the book is wrong, hopefully on thursday i will get the book corrected so no one else gets failed for a system they aren't supposed to have. thanks for setting me straight on the block thing too.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Hacki_sack_kid;1142125 said:
i took my supra in to get tested, it passed most of everything but they are saying it failed the equipment inspection and the air injection system, what are these supposed to be and what could cause them to fail? btw, i had to have work done on the engine so its now a 3.0 instead of the 2.8 and i did most of the work myself, any chance i hooked something up wrong to get this result?

These threads would be hillarious if the stock of Supras wasn't disapearing.

Since there isn't an air injection system as figgie pointed out, they probably mean something else.

Check the other moronic threads here titled, "do I need these parts" or "how to clean up my engine bay".

I mean this in a truly sarcastic way, because this is pitiful and sad. My guess is the EGR is missing. (not that it is the OP's fault)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nick M;1143065 said:
I mean this in a truly sarcastic way, because this is pitiful and sad. My guess is the EGR is missing. (not that it is the OP's fault)

If EGR was missing, he would likely fail the exhaust analysis portion of the test; Which I believe he said he passed just fine. He failed only the equipment inspection.

Nick M;1143065 said:
These threads would be hillarious if the stock of Supras wasn't disapearing.

Since there isn't an air injection system as figgie pointed out, they probably mean something else.

Check the other moronic threads here titled, "do I need these parts" or "how to clean up my engine bay".

the EGR is on the car, i remember putting it back on and it is working, they were actually looking for the air injection system, according to their book its supposed to have one but obviously it doesn't, like i said i have an appointment to get this set straight, hopefully it will also change what the book says in case anyone else is missing the emissions sticker, which on a car this old its bound to go missing.

they favored me in this case, going from the 1986.5 supra to the 1997 one the only one said to have the air injection system is the 1990, the guy spent one hour lookin at my car and said there was nothing to support an air injection system, and he did say that he will try to get the book corrected so hopefully this won't happen to any of you:):thumbup: lmfao and i found out that i didn't even need to get it tested this year so all of this was pretty much for nothing:3d_frown:, oh well hopefully this will help others that actually need the test.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
If only it was, then you could use 'saving the environment' as an excuse for getting a larger turbo :biglaugh: