Emissions Test.. How to pass?

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
Alright.....ahhhh I am slowing down. The TSRM says 42 is Speed Sensor Signal and 52 is Knock Sensor Signal. Ideas? Yes, I will put on a stock Cat for sure. Thanks For Quick Reply.:icon_bigg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Code 42 is the speed sensor signal. The speed sesnor is located behind the speedometer. It's used by the ecu for a lot of minor things. Also used by the cruise control. It should not give you the grief you're seeing however.

Code 52 is a knock sensor signal fault. This one is bad news as far as how the car runs but again, it shouldn't cause your emissons to be that high. It does retard your timing though. You say the car goes good? It'll go even better if you fix that. Frankly, I'd have thought you'd have codes more relevant to your problem but at least fix the knock sensor one.

I suggest you measure the Vf signal and also the O2 signal to see what the ecu is actually doing and why. Reference the service manual. And again, check your fuel pressure, both with the vacuum line connected and without. If this is all beyond you take it to a shop and pay the man.

Drove with the MIL on since day one... :nono:

Last edited:

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
jetjock said:
Code 42 is the speed sensor signal. The speed sesnor is located behind the speedometer. It's used by the ecu for a lot of minor things. Also used by the cruise control. It should not give you the grief you're seeing however.

Code 52 is a knock sensor signal fault. This one is bad news as far as how the car runs but again, it shouldn't cause your emissons to be that high. It does retard your timing though. You say the car goes good? It'll go even better if you fix that. Frankly, I'd have thought you'd have codes more relevant to your problem but at least fix the knock sensor one.

I suggest you measure the Vf signal and also the O2 signal to see what the ecu is actually doing and why. Reference the service manual. And again, check your fuel pressure, both with the vacuum line connected and without. If this is all beyond you take it to a shop and pay the man.

Drove with the MIL on since day one... :nono:
Thanks Alot>>> EH!

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
First off the whole lot of you 2 need to calm down.
You both have valid points. You need to get the car to someone that can do what you can't. I respect jet, period. I also respect canadian. I know that I have next to minimal mechanical knowledge. But damn'd if I'm not going to try to fix it. Because I have a nice mechanical aptitude. Besides Ij is going to come in here and edit my shiat again. lol. Relax....., Go Easy. If I didn't know better I would think you two were married. Obviously a failed attempt at humor.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Huh? What are you babbling about? I like Canucks, especially BC. Hell, I'm 50% Canuck myself. I'm just pulling the guy's leg a little. I think he knows that. That said, anyone who drives their car around from day one with the MIL on shouldn't exepct a whole lot of sympathy. But I'm still trying to help him aren't I?

He can certainly try to solve this himself but emissions problems are not easy to repair unless you have special knowledge and equipment and it appears he has neither. Contrary to popular believe doing stuff like a tune up usually won't fix a smog issue. About the only thing the average guy can do is be sure the lambda loop is working and even then that isn't much help because 1) it may not be controlling right at stoichiometric, 2) it only measures oxygen, and 3) it knows nothing about catalytic converter efficieny (at least in the MKIII).

You really need a gas analyzer and an in depth knowledge of the combustion process. Without this, attempting to repair the car can be a very frustrating and expensive experience. That's not to ay it can't be done but it's a real crap shoot. It's no accident smog techs need to be licensed and the license isn't easy to obtain. I know, I use to have one.

Add to it Supra folks tend to mess with the engine or yank stuff that effects emissions off and you have a real recipe for banging your head against the wall when inspection time rolls around.

FJM

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego
Hi everyone I'm new... since the topic has been brought up.. I have the same problem as well with my stock 87 supra 5spd with 275,000..... I've brought the car to the smog check twice already.. First time the HC at 15mph is 429 & 25 mph is 281 MEAS. CO at 15 mph is 6.23 & 25mph is 4.54.... I've already did the code and got 41 which is TPS... I did a ohms test and I get some continuity....the timing is fine, spark plugs, filter and engine is rebuilt a year ago... basically most parts are new....2nd time I took it to smog check the inspection was aborted cause the guy said the car was bogging on the dyno... Now I have a boggin issue... I plan on taking the car to the shop since I have not much time to fix it..... I don't know what else I need to do or check.... any help would be appriciated .. thanks

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
Easy now boys! I really appreciate the input on this matter. I don't mind gettin' ribbed for being Canadian either... so back to the problem.Now the point that ToyoHabu said about the cams. Uh...I actually had them in the first Na I built. And guess what. It did not pass.:nono: We threw the stock ones back in and it passed. My girlfriend drives that one daily. But I thought with the MIL light on +header+ faulty cat+ NO PASS. I feel bad not letting everyone know that this had happened before. But...thanks for the imput. I really love Bob and Doug Mackenzie. They are my uncles! LOL My cousins are the Trailer Park Boys.. LOL I am for sure putting a New cat on Thursday.:biglaugh:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Don't be putting a new cat on without solving the rich mixture problem first or you'll trash the new cat. It make get you to pass but it'll be working so hard it won't last long.

Lol, Bob and Doug were a hoot alright. And speaking of trailer parks it could be worse. You could be living in certian parts of the US ;)

http://tinyurl.com/ywcjz

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Overlap will increase HC, but not CO. Now just figure out why you have a rich mixture. And fix the knock sensor signal also.

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
Good news! Passed with flying colors. I replace my cat and on the idle test it pretty much read 0's. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I also replaced the knock sensor. Guess what the engine light went off!!:icon_surp The car is really running tight. Thank God I did not have to put the stock cams back in. Supramania guys rock!!:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
sorry to jump on a old topic.but i have a rebuilt 7mgte i have replased my rear cat.i was wondering what i should check b4 i go to smog,is there a way to test/clean my ERG and posably my o2 sensor.the pre cat was not replased and probaly has 200,000 miles on it,think i need to change it? ive never had to take a smog check and id like 2 pas the 1st time.PS its a CA check only i need to pass..any pointers will help a lot.thank you