Emilio's Rebuild & Improvement Build Thread

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hey Emilio- I would suggest finding a way to have the cat flanges be free-rotating like mine are. My hyper medallion needed a lot of tweeking/twisting to fit right and level. I'm not sure how its done, but it sure is handy to have.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Yesterday I went down to SupraSport and got a test pipe, and installed it. It may not be my final exhaust setup, but the downpipe + gaskets cost less than quotes to get my cat put together. To do list for the rest of the year is mostly maintenance stuff, and maybe some intercooler pipes.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Why not just rock the test pipe? If you get in trouble, just be like "It's in the back, I just need to get it welded" lol ;)

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
My dad had that idea too. It HAS a catalytic converter, right?! It's just in the trunk...

Any ideas for Intercooler Piping? I was thinking of getting the SupraSprort hardpipes, as my fabrication skills are pretty much nonexistent.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
You never saw mine when Sean and I got my car running, but you can't get much more hackish than that. I was also using a universal intercooler without same-side inlet/outlets so that made it harder.
But, if you're up to spending the money on a pre-built system, go for it. Less hassle and instant satisfaction. Prettier, too.

edit: here's some sample pics for you to cringe at...

[THUMB]http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq47/toyotanos/DSCN1820.jpg[/THUMB]

[THUMB]http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq47/toyotanos/DSCN1819.jpg[/THUMB]

Not too pretty, but it worked. Now that I have a FFIM, this will be much less of an issue.

Last edited:

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
What FFIM are you running? I might just scratch the whole intercooler upgrade for now and do more maintenance and repair to the car, like fix up the rust and get my ABS, A/C, and Cruise working. I also need to get new transmission fluid and install my Marlin Crawler shift bushing.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
It was a custom one that I bought on the cheap because it was not finished (It's a plus for me, but bad for others). I'm having Sean finish up the welding and flattening the flange. All you really need for this style is a good condition upper intake, but my particular one takes advantage of my lack of AC. TB is not on, it's just hung on in the pic.

[THUMB]http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq47/toyotanos/1991%20Toyota%20Supra/DSC00064.jpg[/THUMB]

I always say get it running right before trying to make power with it, especially if there's repairs that are needed. BTW, what needs fixing on your AC? Parts are very spendy and hard-to-find nowadays. After a bunch of the fittings on my ac stripped, it was going to be like ~1500 to get all the replacement parts from work, so I said screw it.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I don't know what's wrong with the A/C. I got the car and the pump was unhooked. It might only need a recharge. I did find an OLD thread with my car for sale, and the PO said the pump made bad noises. It might just need a new compressor, and a recharge, but I have no idea, I'm not really sure how to go about fixing it.

My ABS light has been on since I got the car, and I checked the codes and it gave 33 I think, pointing to an error with the rear speed sensor. I replaced the sensor, but it didn't fix it. I guess it might be a wiring problem or perhaps the transmission doesn't have the proper sender for it?

My cruise control is really close to done, I already have the unit installed and all the right vacuum lines, but I need to finish running some new wires into the bay, since my car was originally NA.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yeah, the ABS diagnostic system on the older Toyota vehicles is kinda sketchy.
If you need a new compressor I've got the one from my car. It was the only part that didn't strip when pulling the engine. You're also going to want to flush out the entire system, replace the receiver/drier, and install lots of new o-rings for it to be a lasting repair. Not too spendy, though if major components are OK.

edit- are you in Stillwater today? Sounds like you're working on it currently

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I was in Stillwater this Friday and Saturday, I had a job interview that I went to. I'll be back in Stillwater again for my spring break, first weekend of March.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Dam it, you went down to SS! I need that spacer from them but no one down there answers there phone, email or PM's :( Also give me a call or i will call you later today. The Ram chip is here at my house for the other computer. Also since my Laptop (that we put the hard drive in) crashed again I, once again im down to no lap top :cry:

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Rob, if you need that spacer, I'm going back down to Stillwater on March 5th or 6th. It should be really quick to install the new ram stick in the laptop. What's wrong with the old laptop?

Also, what sort of payment do I get for all this computer work? :naughty:

Steve, I found the listing for my car for sale from the previous previous owner, and it said this about the AC:
"A/C doesn't work and was disconnected. The compressor made some awful noises when I tried it once and never touched it again."

It might just need a new compressor and a recharge to be healthy again. That and I still need a fan shroud.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Whenever a compressor grenades, it spews metal bits into the system, which are (hopefully) caught by the filter in the receiver/drier.
They also have new desiccant material for r134a systems in the new units. The original r12 ones don't work right and can cause problems. It's just something you should really do since the system's been out of commission for a while.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Pic-less update:

I flushed and re-filled the Transmission with some Redline MT-90.
I installed a 6.5" speaker back in my driver door.
I finished wiring in the cruise control except for the clutch cutoff, as I don't have the correct connectors for the clutch. (got to remember the brake to cancel the cruise!)
I finished installing the full exhaust with a SupraSport 3" Test pipe, the Cat will come later.
I installed the Marlin Crawler shift bushing.

Fan shroud and T-stat gasket should be here by this weekend.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Mr.Yuk;1529384 said:
You know i have a bag of thermostat gaskets IN STOCK at my store right??

Even so, this Toyota one is coming in the same box as my fan shroud, and only cost $1. And it's delivered to my door. :icon_bigg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
My fan shroud arrived from Toyota last night, just in time for me to head back up to school. I guess I'll be installing the last bits sometime late March for the spring season...