Eliminating coolant lines and cleaning up engine bay in a 1JZ??

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I started tearing apart my 1JZ today in preperation for replacing all of the seals and gaskets. I also plan on going single. I noticed there's a coolant line that goes from the back of the WP housing all the way around the back and to the intake side. I assume this line fed the turbo's and it appears it just goes around to the oil filter housing. What purpose does this line serve on the intake side? Is this the factory equivalent to an oil cooler? Since I'm going to be singling it from the get to I'd like to eliminate as many things as possible that I don't absolutely need. If anyone can chime in as to what they did when going single or when cleaning up their engine bay I'd appreciate it.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
It also taps into your heater core, you need the tube that goes around the block, and wouldn't really clean up anything by getting rid of it. You can however block off a few things, such as the coolant lines for the throttle body, the ISC, and the stock twins. After you do all this the tube going around the block isn't going to bother you at all, clean up the block and clean up the tube and it looks good there.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I'm not trying to do it for asthetics, I'm trying to simplify everything I possibly can while the engine's out. If the coolant doesn't do anything vital on the intake side except run to the heater core, could I cut the pipe off where it bends to run forward on the intake side and just route it into the heater core in the firewall?

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
You're just going to complicate it by trying to make it less complicated. It goes to the heater core by the back of the head. Just leave it as is as it doesn't cause any problems and is never in the way.