Electronic boost controller options.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So im going to purchase a EBC after having bad luck with a MBC lol.

Just wanted to know what are the best ones to go with.

I really like the AEM Tru Boost ($275) its a boost gauge and controller has nice options.

But there are ones that are double the price like

TurboSmart Eboost 2 ($545)

TurboSmart Eboost ($315)

Greddy Profec B Spec 2 ($350)

MBC

TurboSmart GBCV dual stage ($209)

Why are some so much more exspensive.

I personally think im going with the AEM but why is the Turbosmart so much more ?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Turbosmart makes a really really nice unit, but like you said, the price is way up there. Not sure why they're so spendy, but everyone that I've met who uses them wouldn't trade it for anything.
I currently use an AEM tru-boost and LOVE it! I'll re-evaluate that opinion once I get my new manifold and wastegate (ironically, a turbosmart) set up and running, but I doubt that anything strange will make me think otherwise.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Turbosmart makes an Eboost Street which is a simpler version of their other models, and goes for about $320. The newer version is good for up to 40 psi, I just picked one up but have yet to get it dialed in so no comment on its performance just yet.

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Skip all of the toys and get a mans boost controller! NLR AMS-500.. if you need it get the 1000 or even the new 2000
Serious best boost controller around and not too bad on price either. I'm looking forward to getting mine installed!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Been very happy with my Blitz, mine is an older SBC-ID III but I'm sure they have only gotten better.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
honeydew;1711047 said:
What kind of Manual did you have? What happened?

Some no name ebay crap. turns out when i took it apart the ball was on the wrong side of the spring. Anyway i switched it around but with it turned all the down i was still hitting fuel cut in 2 and 3rd until about 5k rpms when the boost would drop off greatly.

So im just going with a EBC still leaning towards the AEM Tru Boost/Greedy Profec B spec 2

Just like the one in the picture set it up this way also
p1711053_1.jpg

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Well if you are dead set against Manuals cause of an ebayer who built a crappy MBC, there's not much I can say. I'm partial to Manuals. The less controlled by electronics the better. I paid $120+tax/shipping for mine from Hallman. It's super awesome if you reconsider.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
honeydew;1711058 said:
Well if you are dead set against Manuals cause of an ebayer who built a crappy MBC
Im definitly not against them i just figured if im gonna spend the money go with a EBC...

honeydew;1711058 said:
I'm partial to Manuals. The less controlled by electronics the better. I paid $120+tax/shipping for mine from Hallman. It's super awesome if you reconsider.
I guess i dont know the Pro's and Con's between a MBC and a EBC

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Turbo Habanero;1711063 said:
I guess i dont know the Pro's and Con's between a MBC and a EBC

The manual's may not hold higher boost. And can spike. But cost way less. My GReddy holds much better, and came on faster.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Nick M;1711154 said:
The manual's may not hold higher boost. And can spike. But cost way less. My GReddy holds much better, and came on faster.

My Hallman MBC held 21psi consistantly. I'm not debating you only stating my experience with my peticular installation.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
honeydew;1711058 said:
Well if you are dead set against Manuals cause of an ebayer who built a crappy MBC, there's not much I can say. I'm partial to Manuals. The less controlled by electronics the better. I paid $120+tax/shipping for mine from Hallman. It's super awesome if you reconsider.

I agree having my motor run on 30 pounds on pump gas because a simple mistake on my avcr made me make a permanent switch to a Manuel. Lucky no harm was done because I have over built the snot out of my fuel system.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Nick M;1711154 said:

My mbc could not make more then 23 pounds but the ebc would make 30 no problem (race gas if your wondering)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I also like the thought of being able to turn the boost down and up in cabin for Gas reasons. My car is a daily driver and for now im only looking to run 12psi

Nick M;1711154 said:
Seems like a whole lot of Pro for the EBC.

Crypton2006;1711184 said:
I agree having my motor run on 30 pounds on pump gas because a simple mistake on my avcr

What was the mistake? How did it occur? Electrical problem or possibly bad installation or just faulty product?

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Turbo Habanero;1711192 said:
I also like the thought of being able to turn the boost down and up in cabin for Gas reasons. My car is a daily driver and for now im only looking to run 12psi

Seems like a whole lot of Pro for the EBC.

What was the mistake? How did it occur? Electrical problem or possibly bad installation or just faulty product?

Trying to adjust it while driving and hit a wrong button. It was my fault but we are all human its just to easy to screw up. However I had a profect b and enjoyed it a lot. Its just that there is so much less to go wrong with.a manual.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
honeydew;1711058 said:
Well if you are dead set against Manuals cause of an ebayer who built a crappy MBC, there's not much I can say. I'm partial to Manuals. The less controlled by electronics the better.

There is NO disadvantage to electronic boost controllers other than initial cost.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
EBC's have fuzzy logic, they learn as you drive. My car came with a Apexi AVC-R, so I can't tell you how it was to install it, but I love it. It's seen a lot of miles and is working just fine (I turned it down (from 11) to 9 psi as soon as I bought the car).