Electromotive Tec-2 vs MAFT-Pro, Thoughts? Opinions?

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
Hello everyone,

Before we get started, I'm just going to get this out there: I've done some spotted reading on tuning and engine management, but consider myself far from even being a n00b at it.

My car is finally getting around to the point where I'm getting close to starting it. Thing is, I've run into a little stump and I'm having a hard time deciding which route I should take on my car in terms of the ECU. I've currently got my hands on a brand new MAFT-Pro w/ speed density setup + LC1 wideband. In the other corner, I've discovered that I can get a Electromotive Tec-2 wired to my car, and should be slightly easier to set up. So one of my open options would be to trade off the MAFT-Pro, pick up the Tec-2, and get it wired in.

I'm enjoying the idea, but more leaning towards sticking with the MAFT-Pro at the moment since... well, it's already in my possession. If I stick with the MAFT-Pro, then I can ride my setup until I step it up into a FFIM+Bigger turbo+standalone all at once. That way I can gather parts, break in the motor, paint it, and get used to driving it again before I make yet another huge upgrade. Having a standalone system sounds nice, but I'm not really sure if it's what I need versus what I want since my power goals are small(?) and I'm compressing my budget for the holiday season.

My current power goal is 450bhp. It's backed by .20 over Arias pistons on top Eagle H-beams, ARP hardware, 3mm HG(I know, it's doughy), 680cc injectors, a single Walbro, and a 60-1 turbo going from 3.5in->3in no cat exhaust system.

So... ideas?

P.S. Also, where should I buy this thing? I'm skimming around all sorts of places, but I'm just finding Tec-3s and people who are using it.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kidding right?

Tec-2 is a full fledged STANDALONE EMS. As a matter of fact Duane (UpgradedSupra) and Ernest (Ultra7m) both ran a Tec-2 system for quite some time.

Tec-2 is the OLD system from Electromotive Inc. Tec-3 are was the replacement but that is also "old", Current is the Tec3r and the Tec-GT.

All of them require a 60-2 trigger wheel be machined on to the crank or a 120-4 on the cam shaft. Must use the GM sensors for accuracy.

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
figgie;1165171 said:
Kidding right?

Tec-2 is a full fledged STANDALONE EMS. As a matter of fact Duane (UpgradedSupra) and Ernest (Ultra7m) both ran a Tec-2 system for quite some time.

Tec-2 is the OLD system from Electromotive Inc. Tec-3 are was the replacement but that is also "old", Current is the Tec3r and the Tec-GT.

All of them require a 60-2 trigger wheel be machined on to the crank or a 120-4 on the cam shaft. Must use the GM sensors for accuracy.

Yeah I know it's a standalone EMS, I managed to dig up some older threads on that. I didn't want to end up getting it, and then receive the "You get what you pay for: fast, cheap, reliable." bit. I don't really want to 'cheap out' when it comes to the EMS, so I was wondering if I should wait off on it.

My biggest drawback is finding the thing at the moment, as I've got access to a crank with the trigger wheel already machined to it. I've heard there are different types of the Tec-2, with various chip upgrades that are available to it that make it compatible with WinTEC? I'm a little lost there.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
MoTeC

I ran a TecII for a few years and it got the job done for what I needed but going MoTeC, well, I should have done this from the beginning. If you don't want to cheap out, IMO, this is the way to go. :)

Duane

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
92TealSupra;1165480 said:
Figgi, those sensor that have to be put on the crank and made, the ratio it has to have 62 teeth? Any pics'? threads?

Not the sensors. The Trigger wheel. And no. It is 60 - 2 (60 minus two teeth). Those missing two teeths are spaced apart exactly like if the trigger wheel were 60 teeths.

As for Pics, Electromotive has them in thier site.

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
Don't waste any of your hard (or easy) earned money on a TEC2. They are so dated now, and I have had issues with a couple and the bottom line is even Electromotive isn't big on fixing them if something major is wrong (at which point the suggestion is to upgrade to a TEC3). Been there, done that, and I just can't remotely recommend someone bother with one. The price may seem cheap, but then by the time you wire it up, tune (or hire it tuned) you have a chunk invested in something nobody supports anymore, is very limited in its capability, and has less than ideal hardware/wiring situation.

If it is a TEC you want, stick with one of the newer TEC3 platforms. There are other standalone options also, topping out with Motec at the top of the capability/price haystack.

(yes figgie I know there are more systems out there that do more and cost more than Motec, but not really in the realm of this discussion... :) :) :) :) )

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I should explain why Ed is asking this question. I have the full TEC2 7M setup (pulley w/ wheel, timing cover with sensor mount, etc) collecting dust in a box at the shop. I mentioned that if he could find a TEC2 for under $300, it might be worth starting out on a good note, due to the price. All of the 7M specific parts are already there, so why not. I would donate the parts to the project.

Does it make sense, not as much. But if the bolt on parts were free and the TEC2 was very cheap. Hellz yeah! (psp commercial)

Anyway, until a cheap unit is found, we are going to live with piggy backs.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
John Reed;1166640 said:
(yes figgie I know there are more systems out there that do more and cost more than Motec, but not really in the realm of this discussion... :) :) :) :) )

Lol

John, why would I bring up a 10k system just for the EMS alone when people cry over 4k for the MoTeC M600;)

Anyway.

EdT.MK3

For a complete listing of standalones....check the sticky thread in the standalone forum.

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
figgie;1167054 said:
Lol

John, why would I bring up a 10k system just for the EMS alone when people cry over 4k for the MoTeC M600;)

Cause you like all the coolest, latest, greatest in the unobtanium world like I do and it is fun to talk about. :)