electrics Fans

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
my 1jz is getting pretty hott, 250-300ish F. with only about 20min. of driving.
My hydro fans can't seem to get the job done.
I want to know what e-fans do u guys/gals use to keep cool.

Brand and models would help even more.

Also to have the e-fans is it just to change to a 2jzgte water pump.
No major fabrication needed, or is it a bolt on?

thanks

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I use the flex-a-lite twin 220 puller. http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/low-profile-electric.html It has kept my car cool on the freeway and during many a autocross during august in Alabama( am I insane ?) Used stock radiator.

If you do not have a serious problem like a BHG. Then you must check that the flow is correct. Do this by insuring enough fluid in system; you may need to park car on incline to ensure no air pockets. Make sure the thermostat is operating correctly. There may be enough contaminates in system to hinder flow through radiator. Clean the system using appropriate chemicals. The last thing may be the impellers on the water pump may be damaged or eroded enough not to function, though I have never seen this form of failure usually its a bearing or seal that has failed.

Best of luck

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
10>15 years of dead bugs and leaves may not be helping.

Took me a couple of hours to clean em all out and straighten bent fins on my Air Con Condensor but made a difference in running temps.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
ToyoHabu said:
I use the flex-a-lite twin 220 puller. http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/low-profile-electric.html It has kept my car cool on the freeway and during many a autocross during august in Alabama( am I insane ?) Used stock radiator.

That's not really extended driving at high load though is it? autoX is short and so are freeway pulls.

I've beat on my car on a mountain road with my 1J for about 20-30 minutes at once. WOT and RPMS staying between 5k-7k the whole time and i NEVER saw the temp creep up at all from normal operating temperature. im using the stock hydro fan with a new stock 1J radiator. keep in mind this is in the california summer

i would make sure your hydro fan setup is in good working order and your radiator is good and you shouldnt have a problem with heat.

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
I have the fluidyne rad.
I changed the thermostat and burped it a few times already.
My hydro fan doesnt have the computer, so it probably is spinning slow.
bhg... no smoke at start-up or when i drive around or when i step on hard. Compression check is with range of each other(160psi with 1-2psi variance between 1-6)

thanks

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Hydro fan works so well for my 1j. For the abuse I do on this car all summer time here at CA., I'm so impressed about this Hydro fan set up. Just get the computer. I recall seeing it at parts/classified add for sale, check it out.

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Turbo-Joe said:
That's not really extended driving at high load though is it? autoX is short and so are freeway pulls.

I've beat on my car on a mountain road with my 1J for about 20-30 minutes at once. WOT and RPMS staying between 5k-7k the whole time and i NEVER saw the temp creep up at all from normal operating temperature. im using the stock hydro fan with a new stock 1J radiator. keep in mind this is in the california summer

i would make sure your hydro fan setup is in good working order and your radiator is good and you shouldnt have a problem with heat.

I have to agree the stock cooling systems where designed well. I went electric because I was planning on also gettting an electric water pump that was thermostaticaly controlled. This system would remove the thermostat. It is the most efficient system I know of and will keep the temperature pegged right where you want it. BTW the freeway driving I was doing was a trip from huntsville AL to Nashville TN going up and down some hills when it was 95 degrees C and about 80 percent humdity. I didn't hava AC at the time so that may have helped.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
yeah. get the ECU and see what happens. i dont remember when my hydro fan ECU was unplugged if it ran on constant high or low. if yours is running constant low, thats probably your issue right there.

good luck

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
i would get the hydro fan ecu, but right now my harness wires are all lying around. it took me quite a while to finally get my tach to work.

Just got too many head aches from personal issues.
i dont want my other love of my life(supra) to give me more pain and stress
I think ill go e-fans.

so is it just a change in the water pump to a 2jz and thats it. No custom/fabs to get it mount.

thanks

rtboy02

Jun 14, 2005
highland, utah
The 2JZ water pump will bolt right in, but you will have to get the pump AND the water pump housing AND 2JZ pulley. They are all separate pieces.

I ordered mine from Elmhurst and got a pretty good price on the whole thing (only slightly more than aftermarket prices at Autozone). I think it was like $185 shipped or something.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
you can buy the whole assembly from toyota 16100-49846 list $134.51 cost 107.81.the pulley is 16371-46020 list 96.14 cost 76.91