Electrical in the engine section?

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
I know this dose not belong here, I apologize in advance for that. It seems that the electrical section of supra mania is out for the count as of now.
A description of the symptoms, boost gauge is working, fuel gauge is working, Tach is working, but oil pressure and temp are not working.
i have replaced the oil pressure sending unit, and the "CPU" temp censer. I am still waiting for the instrument temp censor.

I have read other threads and have seen thats wires of other MK3 supra owners have become corroded or brittle over the years. I too had this problem, I have fix it with butt connectors and a good soldering job to boot. I have unpluged the ECU and ran a jumper wire to the corresponding censor wires after the fix and used a multimeter to check if the wires had any other breaks in them. they all had continuity.
they did and in fact the OHM reading was very low for the amount of wire i used as a jumper.

After that i checked with the TSRM, and from what i could tell all the gauges share a similar power source. so to me this means that the gauges are bad or the ECU is bad.
Or the harness is bad. At this point i am completely stumped. I am about to build a new wiring harness from the ground up. Here is the kicker i bought this car and never checked if the dame guages worked and then did a full engine rebuild. So it could very well be something i over looked.

If you have any good info on where to start after the new dash temp censor comes in. please fell free to contact me. Have a good one.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. they get the power from here:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=136

That is for speed sensor and the fuel gauge. Idk the specifics, but i do know that when i am on E i do not get full power and it prob has something to do with that so your not at 6k wot and your motor runs out of fuel. Esp with a turbo, cause that would melt pistons.

There is also the check engine light that the ecu controls.

But a gauge not working has nothing to do with ecu.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
In a related item, the radiator fluid level switch is the "bird cage".

You can pull the instrament cluster to visualy check if to see if it is in order. It wouldn't hurt to look at the connector. The front of the EWD explains thes symbols, and the section itself shows where that connector is. Meaning the ground side.

Are the gauges up at all, or are they all the way down?

Last edited:

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
The fuel gauge reads a 1/4 tank, and i know its working it has gone down. The boost gauge works also. The oil pressure and the temp don't even move when the key is turned or when the car has been running for 10 mim. Thank you for your help hvyman and Nick M. I will start at the gauges and see if they have come unplugged.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can ground the oil pressure and water temp and they should spike to the top. Easy to tell if sensors are working.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
Im not sure what i did but now the temp is working, but no oil pressure. after a warm up the knock sencor code came up, I am in the middle of fixing it. Ill poast what is going on after i fix it and clear the code.
Just wana say this forum is fu*king great i belong to 2 other forums for a jeep and a KTM and this is by far the best place to get good info at.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
well everything is working minus the oil pressure gauge. I fixed the knock sensor wires and cleared the code and repaired all of the vsv wiring with parts from the junk yard, i have a small oil leak to fix from the turbo drain line once the engine is cool. Today will be her maiden voyage wish me luck.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
no, i am using a napa brand.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

she ran great. no check engine lights came on. im going to bring it to the base auto skills center and get the timing just right and look for a oil leak that is just killing me.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
Yeah it was like 50 dollars, think it's sending unit?
It is new, I was the firs one to use it. Where would you suggest getting one.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

I'm thinking of putting a aftermarket oil pressure gauge in because I'm just sick of tinkering with the stock unit.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The stock sending unit is a special animal. I suppose it's possible for Napa to provide such a part but my Spidey sense is tingling. The only way to know for sure is to test it per the TSRM. Since an improper sender can burn out the gage you should test that also. Both tests are simple enough to do. Or put in an aftermarket sender/gage and be done with it...