electric vs hydro fan set up.....

SupraSpeed

Apr 1, 2005
Denton
is there an electric fan out there that will work as effiecnt as the hydro fan setup or the 2jz fan setup. I didn't get a clip so i don't have any of the hydro fan parts so i was trying to just go electric but i don't know if it will hold up in 100 degree texas weather...... let me know what you guys think

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
considering 90% of cars that are built today use electric fans i think you will be ok, i would get a good fan controller though, like the HKS one.

eps

Mar 31, 2005
usa
A lot of people say the hydro fan will outflow any electric or crank fan. I don’t have any flow numbers for the hydro, but it is supposed to be very good.

SupraSpeed

Apr 1, 2005
Denton
hydro flows 4200 cfm i think, im trying to find an electric fan that will pull that much without killing my battery, but i dunno if i will be able to find one........ i have two 14in fans on it right now, and i think they pull 1250 each so i think both should pull 2500 cfm and i don't know if that is enough

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
The hydro fan sure moves quite a bit of air (given that the fan clutch is working properly), but IMO the main downside to having a belt-driven fan is that is is moving less air when you need it most, i.e. at low speeds and at idle during a standstill.
With an electrical fan setup OTOH, you have more weak points that might fail, like switches, cables, connectors, fuses, or the fan motor itself.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I can get ya this bad-boy:
attachment.php

This setup moves 2780cfm!!! These are capable of running 100% duty cycle and are used on rear mounted radiators on desert race trucks and buggies, also used by Nascar. They will fit the Supra radiator but you must make some simple brackets. These are far better then the FAL fans. $235+ shipping

Attachments

• spl-30100846.jpg
    spl-30100846.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 69

BigTSetter

Apr 6, 2005
Denver
I say get a bigger Radiator first. Get the Koyo or the PWR. The PWR is a SICK! unit but will require you to relocate your battery to the back to make room for the IC piping and you can then run the FAL's and you Should be fine with a good fan controller. Look into the FAL Variable Speed Fan Controller. That's what i'm running and when the fans kick on i can feel air being pulled from past the horn!

HTH,

Bryan

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
Fan flow is usually rated with zero restriction on the fan (0"H20). Comparing any specs from aftermarket companies without seeing the flow charts where it shows the fan actually doing any work (restriction against flow curves) is next to meaningless, so don't get hung up on the flow values. It's a marketing gimmick and utterly useless once mounted on a radiator. The flow drops off dramatically once there is a restriction in the way, such as a radiator. The design of the fans/motors determines how much it falls off from the zero restriction rating.

Having said that, if your system is healthy, I can't see a need for more than two 14" fans, unless you're sitting on the dyno all day.

Doubling your radiator surface area is about the same cooling improvement as doubling your airflow through it. Ideally about a 25% improvement, which is rather tiny, so make sure the rest of the junk is sorted out first.

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
bigaaron said:
I can get ya this bad-boy:
attachment.php

This setup moves 2780cfm!!! These are capable of running 100% duty cycle and are used on rear mounted radiators on desert race trucks and buggies, also used by Nascar. They will fit the Supra radiator but you must make some simple brackets. These are far better then the FAL fans. $235+ shipping

to be honest with everyone here, when i do my 1jz swap, im going to replace the fan with these i think. they look good, reveiws ive seen look good. so i think im going with them for a few reasons.

1. drops the mass that your motor has to turn =ing a little more HP.
2. seem to be a little better then they cluch fans.

so what they cost a little more. that is worth it, i would rather pay a little more now. then ALOT more later for a BHG, or bad turbo's. or whatnot.
so overall i am saying, Go with the electric fans...

justin

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Justin: The HP you free up is lost in alternator drag running the electric fans.

Don't know if anyone has ever done a real world comparison of both systems running correctly, maybe another one for MythBusters :)!

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
Don't know if anyone has ever done a real world comparison of both systems running correctly, maybe another one for MythBusters :)![/QUOTE]

you know what, its not a bad idea to sugest that. it may be drug down, but still you have to say. it looks alot better in the engin bay with electric fans, then it does belt fans, just free's up alot of space as well...

justin

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I was not just talking about numbers on the fans, I have owned and installed both and the spal dual 11" romps all over the FAL. The FAL fans don't last long either. I have a burned Supra one in my garage, and one I took out of my 4x4 truck after having overheating problems when climbing hills.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
BTW are there fan shrouds for dual electric aftermarket fans available?
I guess this would help cooling because really all the air drawn by the fans would have to come from the other side of the radiator.

BigTSetter

Apr 6, 2005
Denver
I was jsut looking at the spec of the SPAL b/c i was thinking that i might want to try out the Dual 11's. HOWEVER!!!, since i have the 1JZ with a PWR the SPAL look to be too tight of a fit for the 1JZ and PWR. I only have about 4in. of clearence between the FAL 220's and the 2JZ water pump. The SPAL's are saying by their specs that they are 2in. THICKER then the FAL's.

So, if you have the PWR with a 1JZ and you're looking for cooling the only thing that personally suggest is the FAL. The SPAL Dual 11's are going to be Way to close to the engine for my comfort. :)

Bryan

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
If your motor was to move more then 2" forward you would have much bigger problems to deal with! :icon_bigg

2" is plenty, if it was 1/2" I would raise an eyebrow.
Also, the thickest part on the spal is the motors only, you would still have some room everywhere else.