ehw not good

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
:3d_frown: I had been running on 4 or 5 cylinders for a few weeks and didnt really notice it. I thought I had a viscious exhaust rattle as the engine/undercarriage made some metal vibration sounds when taking off or throttle down at low rpm's. And it was always a little sluggish.
Come to find out, I think that was my engine internals making the noise because my pistons #2 and #6 were both unplugged. One was pulled off the spark plug and the other was pulled off the distributor. This morning it was obviously idling rough and I plugged them back in to find all the rattling noises are gone and I now have some decent Throttle response. Jya! Ya, I'm a jackass...:icon_conf

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
aha, exactly...

It started doing the routine again! Last nite I lost 1 or 2 cylinders again. I'm almost positive I got bad plug wires because they are old and nasty. Plus; when I started the car last nite, all pistons fireup and motor was idling strong. Then I popped the hood to add my daily dose of Dot3 due to a bad master cylinder and when I shut the hood it Jarred the wires and caused one or two of them to quit working instantly. Everything is plugged in and I can arc on both ends of each wire but I'm sure the damage is from within. Curious to see if Any1 has Suggestions?
I dont want to pull the manifold again:nono:

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
NGK is what's good eh? Do you have to replace the Intake Manifold gasket everytime you take the IM off? This is gonna take me twice as long as a normal person working on it would...

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Are you working on a Supra or a WRX?

With the supra you only have to pull the TB off.. Doesnt take very long.

Oh, and seriously get new wires, plugs (cap and rotor if applicable) :)

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
Burntz said:
Are you working on a Supra or a WRX?

With the supra you only have to pull the TB off.. Doesnt take very long.

Oh, and seriously get new wires, plugs (cap and rotor if applicable) :)

Oh nice. The Throttle Body have a Gasket? Buying wires & plugs tonite after work...
Working on my Supra man...And that's an STi<< I had an 04 rex before that but The Poopra is my only car now. WRX aint 1/2 the car the STi is

armyastro

full body shave t04 mk3
Sep 16, 2005
radcliff ky
mattjk said:
please. the 2006 wrx is 75 percent of the sti, if not more. They even share the same 2.5 block now :3d_frown:

2006 brakes are just as good, it has the same forged aluminum lower control arms, same uprated steering rack and mounts, etc, etc.

I should know, I've owned a 2002, 2005, and 2006 wrx's.

wrx...lol i would take my 1jz single 5 speed LEx over a rex or a wrx driven by a rex...:naughty: :aigo: :evil5:

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
RallySoob said:
Oh nice. The Throttle Body have a Gasket? Buying wires & plugs tonite after work...
Working on my Supra man...And that's an STi<< I had an 04 rex before that but The Poopra is my only car now. WRX aint 1/2 the car the STi is

It has a gasket, which i re-used on mine, since it looked fine.

And its actually pretty easy. Pull all ur intake shit off, undo the supports from ur head by the valve cover, pull the coolant and vacuum hoses off, and thiers 4 main bolts that bolt to the intake mani (3 long, 1 short, or 3 short 1 long, cant remember lol). 1 is obvious, the other 3 are kinda hidden but the same genius who built the tb right over the valve covers also left you room to get a socket in thier easily for the bolts.. how conveniant :D

Also, the 1 coolant hose will probably spray you with coolant. Watch out heh.
While I had my TB off, I took the opportunity to give it a real good cleaning with some carb cleaner. Its nothin too hard really. Just a PITA when you want to check all 6 of your plugs every so often.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
Burntz said:
It has a gasket, which i re-used on mine, since it looked fine.

And its actually pretty easy. Pull all ur intake shit off, undo the supports from ur head by the valve cover, pull the coolant and vacuum hoses off, and thiers 4 main bolts that bolt to the intake mani (3 long, 1 short, or 3 short 1 long, cant remember lol). 1 is obvious, the other 3 are kinda hidden but the same genius who built the tb right over the valve covers also left you room to get a socket in thier easily for the bolts.. how conveniant :D

Also, the 1 coolant hose will probably spray you with coolant. Watch out heh.
While I had my TB off, I took the opportunity to give it a real good cleaning with some carb cleaner. Its nothin too hard really. Just a PITA when you want to check all 6 of your plugs every so often.

Thanks for the rundown man

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
you dont have to take the coolant lines or anything like that off take the two brace brackets off the intake and everything with it then remove the 4 12mm bolts and just move the TB up out of your way no snese having to burp the cooling system again for this type of thing get NGK plugs new cap rotor and wires and everything is cool from there

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Hunh, this is SUPRAmania, not SUBARUmania, right? Just makin sure I'm in the right place. damn vw bug wannabe motors :)

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
bluedragon17 said:
you dont have to take the coolant lines or anything like that off take the two brace brackets off the intake and everything with it then remove the 4 12mm bolts and just move the TB up out of your way no snese having to burp the cooling system again for this type of thing get NGK plugs new cap rotor and wires and everything is cool from there

I took em off the first time cuz i am teh no0blarz

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Burntz said:
I took em off the first time cuz i am teh no0blarz

well once the 4 12mm bolts are out you should just be able to move it out of the way not a huge amount but enought to get at the wires and everything like that

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
bluedragon17 said:

so i should get a new cap rotor? this really needed? if so, why?

-sry i replied to sir flame alot... I have a feeling it's gonna flood this thread soon

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
RallySoob said:
so i should get a new cap rotor? this really needed? if so, why?

-sry i replied to sir flame alot... I have a feeling it's gonna flood this thread soon

A cap and rotor is part of routine maintenance. You replace it for the same reason you replace your plugs and wires.

The electrode on the bottom of the cap will start to flatten and cause arching. The terminals will get corrosion. The rotor will get a buildup at the end and center from the electricity over time.

The rotor was 4 bucks for me, and the cap was like 9 I think. If you have an ignition problem after that, you know its probably not your dizzy through your plugs, so you'll know to check ur other shit.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
Burntz said:
A cap and rotor is part of routine maintenance. You replace it for the same reason you replace your plugs and wires.

The electrode on the bottom of the cap will start to flatten and cause arching. The terminals will get corrosion. The rotor will get a buildup at the end and center from the electricity over time.

The rotor was 4 bucks for me, and the cap was like 9 I think. If you have an ignition problem after that, you know its probably not your dizzy through your plugs, so you'll know to check ur other shit.

Yeah, that makes sense. No chance in hell local parts store is gonna have that in stock but i'll put one in sooner than later. Thanks bro

**it's being tempermental. Now it will run fine; then it will run without cylinders #2 and #6 periodicaly. Seems to happen whenever i go over a bump hard or let it sit for a while. It kinda looks like my wires are getting smashed against my motor under my hood more than normal.

-having a JDM 7MGE, is my alternator is in the same place as a USDM 7MGE?