EGT readings....

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
:umno: EGT is greatly affected by A/F ratio...timing also has an effect, but not to the extent A/F ratio does assuming base timing is set correctly.

If you put the EGT probe on any runner, you will be reading EGT for that cylinder alone. Most guys (including myself) put the EGT probe in the collector or in the turbine housing on the bottom when it's mounted on the manifold.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
well the temp of one cylinder is prolly going to be about the same as all the others, unless an injector is flowing way off or the timing for JUST that cylinder is off. i dont think there would be a drastic diffrence between the cylinders.

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
so an ideal situation with egt probes would be to put one probe in each runner? thus u know all cylinders? or do you want an average by putting the probe in the collector?

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
87targa said:
so an ideal situation with egt probes would be to put one probe in each runner? thus u know all cylinders? or do you want an average by putting the probe in the collector?

Yes ideally you would want one in every runner, but that is both impractical and very pricey, but people have done it.

I added fuel in my midrange for anytime I go WOT and it helped drastically reduce my EGT's. Instead of shooting up quickly it takes them a lot longer to rise.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
isnms said:
Here is some of the information I have come up with, researching EGTs. Keep in mind which links are talking about pump gas and which are talking about alcohol or race gas.

Straight from automotive technology courses....

Last edited:

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
nosechunks said:
damn.... that was some serious informative post lol. i am thinkin that its my ignition bieng retarted 5 degrees causing the egts to be so hot. my air fuels are pretty consistent 11.8 to 12.1 so im pretty sure im good there, its just my egts at around 1550 thats really hot lol. but those temps are up at 4 and 5krpm so idk maybe its more forgiving at the higher rpms.

im gona try to reset my timing tomarro and make a couple of runs.

Set the timing at 10 and it will be good. Mine is at 12 degrees timing.

Do I smell englishtown;)

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
what does everyone idle at egt wise?

my car hangs around 800 and then after about 1-2 minutes it will be down to about 700

when i blew my turbo the guy who rebuilt it said it was going through a lot of hot shutdowns, he said he tells Diesel guys to wait until 400 to shut it off.

but of course diesels run colder.... if i let it idle for about 5 mins it will get down to 550 F but thats as low as it goes.

BTW: i am about 1000 degrees around town and 1200-1250 on freeway doing 80-90 mph

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
i idle around 700-600F. Shouldnt go down much more then that no matter how long you sit because your still burning the same amount of fuel/air. diesels are Fuel controll so at a idle they can run as lean at 100:1 Af's. at idle they dont generate enough heat to warm up fully. thats why alot of diesels run those blankets over the radiator.

i still dont understand why people say what speed there going when refrecing to EGT, its entirely more dependent on load and somewhat on rpm. you could be doing 10 mph at 1000F or be going 60mph at 1000.