EGR Malfunction? Water in Intake, BHG...

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
I recently did a head gasket replacement on a 7MGTE. When finished, I started the car and water was bubbling out between the exhaust manifold and the head. I decided that I had not connected something correctly so I took it all apart and start over. When I got the upper intake manifold off, I noticed water sitting in each of the openings. When I got the turbo off, I noticed water sitting in the exhaust side as well. After doing some research, I was wondering if anyone had experienced the bolt in the EGR chamber at the back of the head coming loose to allow coolant to flow to the exhaust and intake sides? Or what else could I have done wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
jkendall86;1339068 said:
I recently did a head gasket replacement on a 7MGTE. When finished, I started the car and water was bubbling out between the exhaust manifold and the head. I decided that I had not connected something correctly so I took it all apart and start over. When I got the upper intake manifold off, I noticed water sitting in each of the openings. When I got the turbo off, I noticed water sitting in the exhaust side as well. After doing some research, I was wondering if anyone had experienced the bolt in the EGR chamber at the back of the head coming loose to allow coolant to flow to the exhaust and intake sides? Or what else could I have done wrong? Thanks.

Bump

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
egr stands for exhaust gas recirculation. there's no coolant involved in the egr system.

maybe you mistaken a coolant hose for a vacuum hose?
or just totally f'ed up the hg?

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
hvyman;1340910 said:
egr stands for exhaust gas recirculation. there's no coolant involved in the egr system.

maybe you mistaken a coolant hose for a vacuum hose?
or just totally f'ed up the hg?

You are probably right about messing up a hose....but on the EGR, I know that there is a port on each side of the head that allows exhaust gas to flow from the exhaust side to the intake side, there is also a metal screw in plug (it looks like the ones that holds the 3rd valve cover on) that is connected to the hoses for the heater. I was only asking if it was possible for that plug to come loose, or to leak, so as to let water into the exhaust and intake. I don't see how it could come loose, but it was one of my only thoughts on why I had water all over the place.

I have the head about 2/3 rds reinstalled. I am going very carefully to make certain that I don't mix up a hose. Thanks for the reply.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, he's talking about the large plug in the back of the head that is covered by the EGR cooler.

Highly unlikely that it's leaking.

More than likely it's the coolant passag that passes through the lower intake manifold flange on the head. You have to get all the old gasket off and use a new gasket (they have a special sealing ring because of it). The coolant lines that go from the loop around the block to the throttle body then to the ISC and then finally to that nipple.

Now coolant in the exhaust I can't tell you...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
with or with out it it reallly does not matter. all it does is effect the emissions. other than that it does not give you any hp or lose any hp.. bolt on a bigger turbo with supporting mods and you'll do a lot better.