EGR boost leak?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Been trying to track down all of the boost leaks in my 88 turbo. So far i've replaced intercooler pipes, accordian hose, vacuum hoses, and tightend loose lower/upper intake bolts. This thing had a bunch of leaks. And still does.

I need to replace my ISCV gasket. But I also think something in the EGR system bay be leaking. When I hooked up the tester I could smell exhaust gases coming from the EGR area and feel some air down there. I couldn't see anything but I think its leaking down there. When I pulled the vacuum line it would stop. I don't think its the injector seals, because they are new. Any ideas?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Well I fixed my ISCV gasket leak....but I'm still having some issues. I'm guessing its still got a boost leak somewhere. It doesn't feel like boost cut though. Just feels like it loses power and if I keep my foot on it I get a surging.

Guess next is to check the EGR area for boost leak?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I've been reading up and I think it may be the spark plugs. I replaced the plugs and wires with stock NGK's but they may need to be regapped. Going to check them and put them to .028 and see if that helps.

mk3bandit

Jonathan D.
Feb 10, 2010
Denver, North Carolina, United States
i might also be having the same issue as you do. but ive got platinum 4's in mine. dont know if the helps or hurts it. it ran better after i put them in it a year ago so i dont know. hope you or someone can help you out on a cure for it.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Damn, they were already gapped to .028. #6 was a little fouled. The rest were ok. This is frustrating. I've never felt the full power of my car. Should I regap them smaller, try different plugs?