EFI Fuse repeatedly blowing....HELP !!

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Something else that just came to mind- **only applies if you still have your EGR hooked up still** Check at the EGR valve for the harness rubbing on the steel EGR pipe- if the harness touches it the plastic will melt after driving for a few miles!

I've seen a lot of Camry and Celicas that burn through the wrapping and wire insulation to short out multiple circuits if the harness isn't routed correctly around it.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
toyotanos;1699080 said:
Something else that just came to mind- **only applies if you still have your EGR hooked up still** Check at the EGR valve for the harness rubbing on the steel EGR pipe- if the harness touches it the plastic will melt after driving for a few miles!

I've seen a lot of Camry and Celicas that burn through the wrapping and wire insulation to short out multiple circuits if the harness isn't routed correctly around it.

How right you were....that's where it was. I had looked there previously, but it was at night with flashlight, and I didnt see it I guess because of poor lighting. When I looked one last time I did it during daylight with my bigger shoplights...and found it.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
:fistpump: Fix up the wires that melted, and get the harness fastened far, far away from the evil EGR heat! Congrats on finding the problem!

Credit should also go to Jetjock, as his "EGT sensor chafeing" statement reminded me of the EGR burning issue :) GO TEAM!!

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
toyotanos;1699080 said:

where is this on the celica... no problem on mine but if its a common problem i should inspect. i know where the egr is but where does the harness get close to it?

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Indeed, thank you all for your help. Now if I can just get the power steering idle up valve to quit leaking...lol. Having a hard time getting a wrench in there to tighten it up

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
fixitman04;1699937 said:
where is this on the celica... no problem on mine but if its a common problem i should inspect. i know where the egr is but where does the harness get close to it?

Its underneath the throttle body. The harness has attachment clips from the factor the secure it away from the EGR tube, but its pretty common on engine swaps to see the harness resting right on top of it. Takes about a week to a month for it to burn through th covers and into the wires.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Got the little devil tightened up and bled the air out, so the pump-whine noise is gone. But now there is a new noise coming from the ps pump...(oh great), its kinda like a clicking whir I guess. I will get a vid of it since I can't describe it lol.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Using a Turbo PS reservoir or an NA one?
I had a similar problem with my original Turbo reservoir screen being plugged. Swapped to an NA unit and noise was gone! I still replaced the pump cause it was leaking, but the noise was the pump not drawing fluid though!

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
toyotanos;1699080 said:

+1 happened to me too... WIth the older harnesses where the supporting clips are broken, the harness sags and rests on the EGR pipe

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Its the original turbo ps reservior,car has 75k miles and all worked fine before I pulled the motor. I wish this vid would upload uggh. Maybe I could message someone the vid and they post it ?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'd check the power steering lines that run under the engine just to make sure they didn't get squished during the install.

Aside from guessing, the only test that could really help requires tools most people don't have (PS pressure test, uses a 2000psi gauge) And even then it won't say 100% this is the prolem :(

emmkaytree

Mar 15, 2013
Illinois
I know this is an old thread but I just had this happen to me and wanted to ad my input. I kept blowing EFI fuses and turns out mine was one of two things.

1- Knock sensor got deleted and I guess I didn't insulate the 2 wire ends what plug into it and they shorted out
2- Upstream oxygen sensor. Unplugged and starts right up.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the pot for those having EFI fuse issues.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You deleted the O2 sensor completely, or you're running a wideband sensor on a different engine management system?